Sunday 8 July 2007

Is This Where I Come In?

I've got to give my borrowed 'puter back today and then I need to go away for top-secret reasons for a while.

Thusly (awesome word that should be real) I have no idea what my computer access will be for a week or so. I'm *hoping* that by the time I get back, the repair dudes will have repaired my laptop, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, I'm back to reading books, and this is, indeed, where you come in.

See, I had a thought.

And I know those can be dangerous, but I only singed a few brain cells, so I'm ok.

As I mentioned before, I've been reading a lot lately. Since the Canada Day long weekend I've read eight books. And here's what I found myself thinking:

What if, for every book I read from the July long weekend to the August long weekend y'all committed to donating that many dollars (or Euros or Pounds) to a charity of your choice? How cool would that be? I'd mean you could spread a little love and be all happy too while I read away!

Now, don't worry your pocketbooks, I won't be getting into the hundreds or nothing, and keep in mind I'm not including instructional manuals or things that I'm reading because I have to. All in all, I think this could be fun.

I'll read, and keep you updated somehow (brain's already wondering how in heck to add something else to the sidebar cuz it only took me days last time!) and then when it's all done we can all go and give ten or twenty bucks to a puppy shelter or the Red Cross or a church fundraiser or Save the Oceans or the Salvation Army or wherever your happy heart desires. Kay?

I'm in, anyway. So whaddya say?



PS. Please don't be discouraged if I don't approve your comments right away. One needs a computer for such fancy things as comment approval. I loves your comments and I promise I'll get to them as soon as I can, kay? Kay!

13 comments:

Laura said...

Count me in, that is a very cool idea. But I'm going to be mildly selfish about this too, hope that's okay. I'm walking in the Weekend to End Breast Cancer in August and you have to raise $2000 in order to participate. So far I've raised $1806, so I'm still $194 short! So I'm donating the dollars to myself, but it's not really to myself, it's the BC Cancer Foundation :)

Now get readin' missy!

Likalia said...

Eight books since the 1st? Wow I am impressed and a little jealous.

Can't wait to see the run down of the books, I'm always looking for new recommendations.

Also your donating to a charity plan sounds very nice. :)

Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

I'm in.

Victoria said...

Laura: Where does the selfish come in? You're AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Likalia: Not sure about a rundown, some have been horribly embarassing to admit to reading and others not worth recommending. I'm all for Night Watch though. Very much! I promise I'll tell you about those I really liked : )

Woo-Woo: YAY! ; )

The Real Mother Hen said...

You do read a lot :)

Likalia said...

lol, no you totally have to admit to the embarrasing ones even. I am a firm believer that sometimes you have to read things that are well below par just to fully understand how wonderful the better ones are.

Besides who is going to laugh at you here, I'm sure we have all read things we are embarrassed by now. Still they are books, they expand your mind in some way, so it is still beneficial, and let's face it at least you are reading. I'm always a little disappointed when I find out people don't like to read.

Ahem - rambling again - back to work.

Victoria said...

Mother Hen: I know! ; )

Likalia: Well, this one was called "the First Time" and was about an unhappy marriage, he leaves, she get sick, he comes back, they fall in love she dies. Um.. yeah. I'll see if I can remember the others once I'm home again!

McGone said...

I'm in.

And your book reading for the month has quadrupled my reading outlet for the year, sadly.

If you really are wanting to do this, harass me at my site, or at my email, when you get your goal. (I'm afraid I'll forget what I committed to - I have a short attention span)

Victoria said...

Sweet!

Anonymous said...

A week without pooter access, that would kill me. Enjoy the books up there.

Cheers

Victoria said...

Nocturnal: I managed to get access, so my twitching has stopped! ; )

McGone said...

Done and done (a few months late). I wrote my follow-up here.

Victoria said...

Well done McGonigal! Well done I say : )