Wednesday 19 September 2007

Arrrrrr

How could I be forgettin' again? Curses.

The basics (from them who knows best.)

Here are the five basic words that you cannot live without. Master them, and you can face Talk Like a Pirate Day with a smile on your face and a parrot on your shoulder, if that's your thing.

Ahoy! - "Hello!"

Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise.

Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."

Aye aye!
- "I'll get right on that sir!"

Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!


Once you've mastered the basics, you're ready to start expanding your pirate vocabulary. Try these for starters


Beauty – The best possible pirate address for a woman. Always preceded by “me,” as in, “C’mere, me beauty,” or even, “me buxom beauty.”

Bilge rat – The bilge is the lowest level of the ship. It’s loaded with ballast and slimy, reeking water. A bilge rat, then, is a rat that lives in the worst place on the ship.

Bung hole – Victuals on a ship were stored in wooden casks. The stopper in the barrel is called the bung, and the hole is called the bung hole. That’s all. It sounds a lot worse, doesn’t it?

Grog
– An alcoholic drink, usually rum diluted with water.

Hornpipe – Both a single-reeded musical instrument sailors often had aboard ship, and a spirited dance that sailors do.

Lubber – (or land lubber) This is the seaman’s version of land lover, mangled by typical pirate disregard for elocution. A lubber is someone who does not go to sea, who stays on the land.

Smartly – Do something quickly.

Now smartly you lubbers and have some grog for me, arrr!

6 comments:

Likalia said...

Aye aye!

Anonymous said...

Ahoy! Avast, ye Canadian land lubber!
Listen t' this hornpipe. Tis called
Th' Last Pirate o' Saskatchewan!
Arrrr!

Victoria said...

Arrrrrrr and avast!

(er)

Mateys!

dilling said...

Aye aye, Cap'n!

Delton said...

Ahoy me beauty! This lubber will smartly pop the bung hole to imbibe some dinner and grog, before a smart turn of the ole hornpipe.

Arrr, too many word games. Me brain still hurts after writing that other story. Glad you enjoyed it.

Victoria said...

Aye, and, (um) hurrah!