Friday, 9 January 2009

Discovery


As I mentioned the other day, I always clean up (and out) my place on New Year's Eve. It stems from a familial cultural tradition that's basically about getting rid of the old to let the new in.

I'd been with my family up until about 8pm on the 31st and I got home and cleaned for three hours straight. I dusted and swept, I bagged up clothes and things that hadn't been used or worn in a while, I opened all the windows and, under the instructions of my Uncle whom I'd spoken to in Scotland a few hours earlier, I opened my front door to let the old year out and the new year in.

Another thing that I did was to clear off my counters and tables.

See, I usually have things that I'm working on or going to work on sitting in a relatively neat little pile on my table, and I have my dishes washed and drying on a rack on my kitchen counter.

For New Year's, I put the rack away up on top of a cabinet and I put the papers and books and to do lists away in an old card box on a chair under the table.

And let me tell you, I love it.

I love how simple and sleek and clean everything looks.

I mean, my place is usually neat and orderly, but cleaning off the main surfaces? It feels like a breath of fresh air and I'm just loving it.

There was something so wonderful about getting up on the 1st to a place that looked, clean (and I'm not talking about no dirt clean, I mean clean lines / clean and simple clean) that I just loved and that felt like such a relief to my brain. It's calming. And easy. And I love it.

So it was a funny discovery, but apparently I really like things to not be there. If you know what I mean.

Clean.





P.S. Thanks for not mentioning the fact that I somehow managed to use a photo twice in the same week! (Now changed so you'll never notice. Except I just told you. D'oh.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Dugout Daisy said...

I know exactly what you mean! I put all my papers and random things in boxes and put those on shelves and it makes everything look so neat! Having a clear surface to tables and counters and desks and all of that, is just so refreshing! What a great way to start the new year!
oh, and I do the open door thing too! ;)

Friday, January 09, 2009 2:36:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

It is totally refreshing! :D

And, yay for the open door thing :)

Friday, January 09, 2009 6:32:00 pm  
Blogger Jonathan said...

The problem comes when you are a tidy/minimal person, and your other half is the worst hoarding, messy, cluttery person in the known universe.

I leave the house in a tidy state before heading off to work each day, and return home to an apparent scene of an FBI search.

Every. Day.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:13:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

Oh my!

Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:00:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.