Tuesday 23 February 2010

I Do Not Like It, Sam I Am


I've heard other people talking on their blogs before about giving something up for Lent (which, here is a link to explain what Lent is if you're someone like me who didn't know) even though they weren't doing it for religious reasons.

I always kind of admired them, thinking that they were being strong, challenging themselves to give something up for forty-something days even though they didn't really *have* to.

So I decided to try it myself this year and I decided to give up chocolate since, lately, a couple of people have joked that I'm something of a choc-o-holic and I haven't been able to convince myself that they're wrong.

So, I haven't had chocolate for six days now.

And, unfortunately? I don't like it. I really don't like it.

Which may mean I have a problem. But that's not the point right now. The point right now is that this has felt like, in some moments, a very long six days. I had no idea how many times I think about wanting to eat chocolate.

I want my Mommy!

6 comments:

Stephanie Hunter said...

I have to admit I admire you. I am not Catholic, but someone told me that I should try to give up chocolate. I declined. I already know, I wouldn't make it. I would also make everyone else miserable.
I KNOW I have a problem with chocolate addiction.

"Julie" said...

Haha ohhh Lent. I've done lots of crazy things, but this year I am trying to curse less, and have promised to go to church once a week at least...so far so good, but it's hard!

Single and Picky said...

I am maybe being a sissy when it comes to giving stuff up - but I am giving up bottle water and paper cups. It's a good for me, good for everyone attempt - and in the end will be financially beneficial because I stink at carrying around my coffee cup with me. Good luck on the no chocolate, you'll be better for it you know. The intent is to use the time to consider the Season, so maybe go for a walk enjoy the beauty of our super early spring and think of life after death if you're going to take a spiritual perspective..

Victoria said...

Stephanie, I'm not Catholic either, but I figured if I *couldn't* do it, maybe I did have a problem! I am close to making other people miserable though! ;)

Julie, it's effing hard, eh? (just teasing you on the cursing front!) ;)

SnP, I think that's a great thing to give up! It'll have a huge positive impact, go you! And, yeah, I do hope to see if there are any health improvements for me with all this time with no chocolatey, sugarey, caffeiney goodness! ;)

the one in the back said...

I gave up meat and rice last year. Did not like it one bit. I don't think I gained anything by it either. This year, I'll just be a little nicer than usual and give a little more to those who need rather than giving something up.

Victoria said...

Hey, that's a super nice idea!