Saturday 21 August 2010

Part Two

Sure, I may have watched this guy when we were doing the wedding rehearsal and I may have been interested to hear one of the bridesmaids speaking highly of him the next day but I had bigger fish to fry.

Like trying not to be upset that the groomsman my friend had jokingly said she wanted me to make out with seemed more interested in talking to his best friends than me. (Until very late at night once he'd had very many drinks at which point I was on my way back to my hotel to sleep as it was way past my bedtime and we had a wedding to get to the next day.)

So fast forward to the ceremony, where this guy shows himself to be a talented musician. Cue an instant, unavoidable bubble of attraction.

Fast forward again to the reception and him making a speech where this guy shows himself to be witty and a good writer.

None of which matters, because we don't even cross paths, not unusual at a wedding with so many people and so much going on. We did have a couple of pictures taken together, at which point I remember thinking that it was too bad he didn't like me, because I liked how it felt with his arm around my waist.

I really don't have the faintest idea where he was for most of the night, didn't think about it at all, to be honest. (I was genuinely surprised to see him in so many of the photos I took during the early part of the reception. It makes me wonder if he just happened to be where I was taking pictures, or if I happened to be taking pictures of him without really consciously being aware of it or if it was a little bit of both.)

The reception was a blast and so enjoyable and when the DJ put out the announcement for the last dance, I grabbed my camera to get some shots of the bride and groom.

As I'm standing there taking photos, I hear a voice behind me.

"So are you taking pictures or are you dancing?"

I look around and it's him.

Looking at me.

So I put the camera down and let him take me to the dance floor.

I have to admit I was quite surprised, but I thought it was pretty nice of him to make sure all the bridesmaids had someone to dance with at the last dance. It never occurred to me that it was anything more than a kindness, him asking me to dance.

The dance ended and I thanked him and went back to start help with cleanup.

My friend's Mom came up and pulled me aside.

"You two make a cute couple you know," she says, a sly smile on her face.

"Oh, I'm sure we would." I replied. "It's just, that's the first time he's spoken to me in two days, so. . . "

"I wondered about that," she said, and we both shrugged and moved on.

I figured that was the end of that.

Which it sort of was.

(To be continued. . .)

9 comments:

Stephanie Hunter said...

I hope there is a part 3.

Victoria said...

Hmmmm, I hope there is too? Oh, wait, I already know if there is or not ;)

Danielle Kirrane said...

You're killin' me.

Anonymous said...

Sees an HBO mini series... :) Well written.

Victoria said...

Thanks! :)

Dominic said...

Shouldn't there be a "To be continued" at the bottom of this one too?

Was he a good dancer?

Victoria said...

I'll add it right away Dominic!

And, yes, he was :)

Kas said...

Can't wait to find out!!

~Kas

Victoria said...

:)