Wednesday 3 November 2010

Not That This Happened Or Anything


Let's say, for argument's sake, that you have a food that you purposely mis-pronounce because it makes you giggle.

Like, maybe you call bananas "beneenees" or spaghetti "spagHetti" or jalapenos "halapenyos" or a sandwich a "sammich".

You know, that kind of thing.

So, let's say you have this mis-pronunciation thing and you like it because it makes you giggle and then one time you go into the grocery store and you ask someone to help you find a certain item, but because you're so distracted with whatever else is on your mind, you're not really paying attention when you ask for help and you unknowingly mis-pronounce the word.

Out loud.

In the store.

To someone who then repeats the word to another person at which point you wake up a little and realize that no, you didn't want help finding beneenees, you actually wanted to know where the bananas were and oh man why aren't they laughing can't we all just pretend this never happened?

I mean, if that had happened to you, would you have been embarrassed?

Rhetorically speaking of course.

11 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

lol awesome!

Mademoiselle Hautemess said...

You are freaking adorable!

SMITHY GALLERY said...

I love that! Especially 'sammich'. My embarrassing moment would involve ice-queam, or perhaps pi-nipples, (that's pineapples in a South African accent) if I'm feeling naughty!

Kas said...

LOL!!

My son (14y) for some reason has issues pronouncing some words:

mazagine for magazine

capenteria for cafeteria

and my fave (after sex ed) was

Fal o peeing (w/ emphasis on Fal)

I about died!!

~Kas

Victoria said...

I kind of blushed a lot JS

Me, Mlle? I didn't do this! This didn't happen to me! Ahem.

Oooh, pi-nipples! I could get into a lot of trouble with that one Natalie! :)

As in, Fal o Peeing tubes Kas? Hee!

Jonathan said...

Why do I always get the impression we would get on like a house on fire?

One of our kids took AGES to learn to say "Vegetables" - she gave up for a while and called them "Vegadoobydoo" lol

Victoria said...

Vegadoobydoo! Awesome!

It'd be fun if it turns out we got along so well :)

Claus said...

My 4 yr old daughter:

"Aminal Crackers"

I now say it too as I really don't want her to be corrected. It's too cute and she's been saying it since she was 2. Plus I really don't want her to grow up. :) Maybe she won't as long as she continues to say Aminal. *crosses finger*

Victoria said...

Awwww, aminals is one of my favourites too! And I hear you on the "not allowed to grow up any more!" thing :)

Anonymous said...

I like to pronounce brocolli as broc-co-lie as if in the plural
I used to be a grocery store cashier and sometimes I'd ask the customer to confirm what produce they were buyingnwhen it was odd foreign stuff and I knew I'd always mispronounce it so I always wanted to say to someone "this is bro-co-lie right?" but I never did :(

Victoria said...

Awww, you should go shopping and ask the grocery guy where the bro co lie is? :D