Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Things I've Learned While Running #1-5

1. You can run through a rain storm.

Now, I don't mean you can run so long that the rain stops, although I'm sure that's true too, I mean you know how in cartoons when someone's really sad there's a big raincloud hanging over them raining right down just on them?

Yeah, well, turns out this is pretty true. On a run last week, I started out from my place in the dry, and as I ran it started to rain. I kept on running and at the end of one street the rain stopped again. I ran perpendicular to my street for a while, turned around and came back. Hit the same spot? And it started to rain again.

I'd never really thought of rain as being a possibly stationary, localized thing, but I actually ran into, then out of a raincloud. It was very cool.

2. A lot of people don't look up.

I live near enough to the water that now that I'm running upwards of half an hour (I know!) I head down and along the waterfront.

There are times I'm down there when the sky is just stunning. Gorgeous clouds, sun, weather, waves, it's just beautiful. And I notice a lot of people not noticing. They're involved in their conversation or their worries and troubles or they're listening to their music, eyes down.

I know I'm looking up and around a lot more trying to catch pictures, but running along the water like that, it's hard not to stare at the gorgeous.

3. I *am* getting faster, even if it doesn't feel like it.

When I first started out, it was hard and it hurt and I was slow. So slow that I really, honestly, couldn't catch up to or pass walkers on the same trail or road.

Now I can. I can! I'm still not speedy, but I'm at least faster than I was and now I actually pass people walking. I can't tell you how cool this feels.

4. It really pays to ask for help even if you're worried you'll sound dumb.

I bought new shoes and I found the first day out wearing them my feet were hurting. I didn't know what was going on, but I asked a friend of mine who runs a lot what he thought the problem might be.

"How tightly are your shoes laced?" He asked.

So, I loosened them in the middle and they haven't hurt since.

Instead of me sitting thinking I'd broken my feet, I just asked and it turned out to be something I would probably never have thought of myself. Go figure.

5. Stretching is everything.

I knew this one already from the car accident, but it's even more important now.

I spend somewhere around half an hour after each run stretching.

I stretch from my head to my toes, literally, and I'm slow about it; I've set my watch timer for 45 seconds and that's how long I hold each stretch for.

And then I take a hot shower and/or bath and all is right with the world.

Amen.

5 Comments:

Blogger "Just Sayin....." said...

Very cool!
Congrats on your progress!
I hate running but I love the runners high when I do.

Keep up the great work!

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:59:00 am  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

My mother in law (marathon running lunatic) taught me a trick with muscle aches after running - put the shower on cold, and see how many seconds you can stand it for. Aim the nozzle at your legs.

It works like magic.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 2:50:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

Thanks JS! :)

I know some people take ice baths Jonathan. Brrr! ;)

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:01:00 pm  
Blogger Single and Picky said...

Ice Baths are AMAZING - sounds crazy I know but I normally hop in with the majority of my clothes on (keeps your upper body warm) and stick it out for about 5 minutes you'll go numb before then. Then you can have a hot shower.

But don't do this if you've been out and about running in the rain or really cooled down.

But that bit of insanity aside I cannot tell you how happy I am to read this post - I am glad you're finding beauty in the process - your comment about how no one looks up I completely agree I had a few close calls tonight running through downtown as people with their Blackberries are weaving about are hard to avoid.

Keep at it girl, you're doing great!!

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 8:03:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

I think I won't consider ice baths at the moment (rainy cold runs, plus not really that long of runs) but I know people love them! Well, not the cold part ;)

And, thanks.... a lot :D

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 9:56:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.