Tuesday 2 November 2010

Things I've Learned While Running #1-5

1. You can run through a rain storm.

Now, I don't mean you can run so long that the rain stops, although I'm sure that's true too, I mean you know how in cartoons when someone's really sad there's a big raincloud hanging over them raining right down just on them?

Yeah, well, turns out this is pretty true. On a run last week, I started out from my place in the dry, and as I ran it started to rain. I kept on running and at the end of one street the rain stopped again. I ran perpendicular to my street for a while, turned around and came back. Hit the same spot? And it started to rain again.

I'd never really thought of rain as being a possibly stationary, localized thing, but I actually ran into, then out of a raincloud. It was very cool.

2. A lot of people don't look up.

I live near enough to the water that now that I'm running upwards of half an hour (I know!) I head down and along the waterfront.

There are times I'm down there when the sky is just stunning. Gorgeous clouds, sun, weather, waves, it's just beautiful. And I notice a lot of people not noticing. They're involved in their conversation or their worries and troubles or they're listening to their music, eyes down.

I know I'm looking up and around a lot more trying to catch pictures, but running along the water like that, it's hard not to stare at the gorgeous.

3. I *am* getting faster, even if it doesn't feel like it.

When I first started out, it was hard and it hurt and I was slow. So slow that I really, honestly, couldn't catch up to or pass walkers on the same trail or road.

Now I can. I can! I'm still not speedy, but I'm at least faster than I was and now I actually pass people walking. I can't tell you how cool this feels.

4. It really pays to ask for help even if you're worried you'll sound dumb.

I bought new shoes and I found the first day out wearing them my feet were hurting. I didn't know what was going on, but I asked a friend of mine who runs a lot what he thought the problem might be.

"How tightly are your shoes laced?" He asked.

So, I loosened them in the middle and they haven't hurt since.

Instead of me sitting thinking I'd broken my feet, I just asked and it turned out to be something I would probably never have thought of myself. Go figure.

5. Stretching is everything.

I knew this one already from the car accident, but it's even more important now.

I spend somewhere around half an hour after each run stretching.

I stretch from my head to my toes, literally, and I'm slow about it; I've set my watch timer for 45 seconds and that's how long I hold each stretch for.

And then I take a hot shower and/or bath and all is right with the world.

Amen.

5 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

Very cool!
Congrats on your progress!
I hate running but I love the runners high when I do.

Keep up the great work!

Jonathan said...

My mother in law (marathon running lunatic) taught me a trick with muscle aches after running - put the shower on cold, and see how many seconds you can stand it for. Aim the nozzle at your legs.

It works like magic.

Victoria said...

Thanks JS! :)

I know some people take ice baths Jonathan. Brrr! ;)

Single and Picky said...

Ice Baths are AMAZING - sounds crazy I know but I normally hop in with the majority of my clothes on (keeps your upper body warm) and stick it out for about 5 minutes you'll go numb before then. Then you can have a hot shower.

But don't do this if you've been out and about running in the rain or really cooled down.

But that bit of insanity aside I cannot tell you how happy I am to read this post - I am glad you're finding beauty in the process - your comment about how no one looks up I completely agree I had a few close calls tonight running through downtown as people with their Blackberries are weaving about are hard to avoid.

Keep at it girl, you're doing great!!

Victoria said...

I think I won't consider ice baths at the moment (rainy cold runs, plus not really that long of runs) but I know people love them! Well, not the cold part ;)

And, thanks.... a lot :D