Monday 1 November 2010

All Hallows


It was Halloween this weekend.

Well, it was Halloween yesterday, but Halloween always turns into a weekend thing, and with it being on a Sunday this year, I knew Saturday would most likely have most of the parties and such.

I laid low this weekend, which was just what I needed, and I played an embarrassing amount of a certain video game which shall remain nameless and I ran/walked and I ate terrible, delicious food.

I didn't have a great sleep Saturday, kept on getting woken up by firecrackers going off. And then at who-knows-what o'clock in the morning (probably when the bars let out) a group of young people (because really, who else would bother) wandered around for what seemed like forever screaming and yelling.

I was half-asleep but had been woken up and I was scared they were going to break into my bedroom. The more awake part of my brain reminded me that they were outside and that they couldn't get into my building or my apartment or my bedroom and so I shouldn't worry, but the more asleep part of me wondered if I should call the police, so I lay there trying to sleep and scared and knowing I was worrying over nothing.

I fell back asleep after a while until my neighbours came home. At that point I remembered that I had earplugs and popped them in and slept the rest of the night away. Or the morning away, who knows.

It's funny, that half awake, half asleep fear thing. I often worry that people will try to steal my teddy bear so I grab him to make sure he's still ok. (He sleeps in the corner of my bed.) I guess that's where young children get their nightmares from. Half-waking and things aren't quite right but they seem real and you can't convince yourself otherwise and you know you're not alert enough to do anything about it.

I don't know why this is something I felt compelled to write about except that it made for a very sleepy me yesterday, which led to another nice, relaxed day. I went to the grocery store mid-day to pick up some milk and I had my camera strapped across my back as always.

"Oh, I get it, you're a photographer!" the guy in the store joked.

Except, I didn't get it until he was halfway down the aisle.

Riiiiiight, a costume.

Not my fault, I didn't get much sleep.

And now my brain wants to sing "Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli. Please excuse me.

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

We can have conversations with our children when they seem to be awake, but are not. You only twig what's going on when they come out with utter jibberish...

Victoria said...

Heh

Kas said...

Yep-- that nameless game......played it yesterday and can't wait to sneak it in today!!

~Kas

Victoria said...

Wheeeee!