Saturday 5 February 2011

Voice


I know I've talked about how much I hate finishing a book because I miss the characters or because I want to know what happens next but there's something else to it.

Sometimes the transition from one author's voice to another is so jarring I almost want to go back and re-read the book I finished just so I don't have to start again.

These last couple of books have been like that for me, I've started reading the new one and it's been such different writing, such a different style that I've actually put a book away after a few sentences and started a different one just because I couldn't handle that particular voice after the one I'd just read.

Going from "Room" to "Bitter is the New Black" was a hard one. I almost threw "Bitter" across the room it frustrated me so much.

But after I finished it I, of course, enjoyed the writing and the story and the author's voice. I think maybe no one could have equaled Jack's voice in "Room", but I think also it was a particularly discordant change from his (five year old, innocent, sweet gentle voice) to the harsh sarcasm of Jen Lancaster.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed quite so clearly how difficult it can be to leave one author and start with a new one and maybe that's why I like series so much. It's comforting to go back to an old familiar voice.

7 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

I love Jen Lancaster!
HOw could you not love Bitter?
You'll like the others.. I think I read 3 of her boks in one weekend and couldnt stop laughing at her snarky witt!

Victoria said...

No, yeah it was amusing (I think it was you who recommended her?) it was just SOOOOOO different from the book before it, it was jarring is all.

Just Sayin... said...

You're right I think it was me, sometime ago.

Hope you're well. xo

Anonymous said...

Um, just out of curiosity, how old are you? I'm guessing young...real young. Like 20...25 tops.

Victoria said...

Thanks JS :)

I'll never tell, Anonymous ;)

Anonymous said...

Understood. I'm a single guy in Victoria, and it's so hard to meet people. I tried Plenty of Fish. Let me just say, I don't recommend it. It's kind of like shopping at Fields...you know, Fields.

Anyway, your blog rocks. I'm like totally into the awesome radness of it.

Oh, and one interesting observation. For some reason which I have never understood, a guy's notch count raises his status and overall sexual market value. A woman, on the other hand, has to couch her notches in highly nuanced phrasings. It's a double standard. Chicks rock, and they should be able to bang whoever and whenever they wanna. Don't worry about the hook-ups devoid of emotional attachment or commitment. In today's go go go nonstop world, it is quickly becoming the norm.

*hugs*

Victoria said...

Hey Anonymous,
Regarding my age, I've always felt like if I put an age it might possibly alienate some people who could otherwise say "hey, she's just like me" so I just leave it up to a guess.

And, yes, it IS hard to meet people in this town. I've found my friends through school and then through work. I didn't grow up here so I'm not in the crowd of people who magically all know each other.

I've tried (and am still half-trying) PoF, but dude, you're so right. Fields. For sure. (It's crazy/freaky some days)

I'm glad you like the blog, that's awesome and yay. :)

The observation is an interesting one and I'll just add this tid-bit. If a guy has too many notches? In my mind it knocks him down several/many rungs. Because there's a definite ewwww factor in there :)
But yeah, we should be able to bang who we want if we want to and not get labelled ;)