Tuesday 9 August 2011

Where There Were Fireworks

Ooooooh by foundimagination
We start walking down towards the inner harbour and right off the bat it's easy. It's easy and light and we're both laughing.

It's somehow so comfortable, maybe because I didn't have enough time to get overly nervous. Maybe because his texts had already made me smile and laugh. Maybe because I knew even if we didn't hit it off there were at least some good looking single guys still out there.

(Man, I sound like I'm harping on his looks, don't I? But it really was such a pleasant surprise.)

I don't even know what songs they played. I remember half listening to a bar here or there and thinking "I know this song" but we just talked about this that and the other and we laughed.

You guys, we laughed so much.

I feel like everything he said was just so funny. And when we were giggling so much and a lady in front of us turned around to give us a "look", his response was so funny and so totally what I'd do with C-Dawg or someone who was already a best friend, I laughed even louder.

It was really nice.

And when the symphony started playing Amazing Grace after the closing fireworks, I kind of had to remind myself that I didn't know this guy and couldn't just lean up against him like I wanted to.

Which is a good thing to have to remind yourself.

We walked around a bit after and the conversation was ceaseless. Big things, little things, we talked about it all. And I swear we hung out for hours and hours, but when we did eventually head on our ways home, back where we'd first met, I looked at my watch and it'd only been an hour and a half.

I couldn't stop smiling the whole way home.

"I met a guy" I texted C-Dawg. "Why aren't you awake? I need to talk to you. I'm giddy."

And when he texted me goodnight, I knew I wouldn't sleep.

But I tried. And as I lay in bed that night, trying to get the giddiness to settle down and let me sleep, I kept thinking of this funny thing he'd said, or that conversation we had and I was really really happy and excited and....just, everything.

I wanted to fire up the computer and announce that I'd met someone, but I've been down this road before.

I've been excited about a guy from online only to have him slip away and while I'd never been *this* excited about a guy before, I still didn't want to jump the guns and say anything before there was anything to say anything about.

So I just lay there smiling in the dark, so very happy with how the day had turned out.

7 comments:

Happydog said...

I'm sol darn excited for you! I haven't commented before on your posts about finding a relationship but I've wanted to tell you for awhile now that it will happen! How do I know this? I met my husband over twenty years ago when I was 34 and had decided being alone was not only okay but I was actually excited about it! So even if this guy doesn't work out enjoy the time you are together!

Yamuna said...

I smiled the whole time as I read this post - it brings back such amazing memories for me too, from something that happened in Costa Rica :)
I'm so so so so happy for you!
Here's to feeling giddy! :)

Kas said...

YAY!!! Good For YOU!!!

And not only that, he's cute!

Singlicious said...

This sounds just awesome. Wow! Enjoy... and I'm looking forward to hearing more. :-)

Singlicious
http://my-s-word.blogspot.com/

Victoria said...

Thanks HD. And, I love your love story, thanks :)

I'm glad it made you smile Yamuna, and am glad you had a smile to think back on from your trip too! ;)

Thanks Kas :) And, yes, he's cute! ;)

Thanks Singlicious!

Kelly said...

I've been reading your blog for a couple months now... somedays, it's like your thoughts are my own.

I'm smiling for you.... :)

Victoria said...

Awww, thanks Kelly! :)