Friday 9 September 2011

Discovery

Do you know what's a real turn off for me?

A guy who's into MMA or UFC or anything like that.

I can't even watch an ad for that kind of thing, it makes me sick to my stomach.

The absolute violence of them horrifies me, and I don't know if I could be with someone who enjoyed watching grown men beat each other bloody.

I realized this the other day when a guy I'd been talking to online, seemingly out of the blue asked me if I was a fan.

And my answer was no.

My truthful answer is what you see above, but I didn't feel the need to let him know just how much I'm not a fan.

He told me that he enjoyed it as a sport, but wasn't a violent person and didn't like to fight, and we chatted a bit after that but that was kind of the end of it.

It was a real turnoff for me and either he sensed that or he was looking for a girl who was more into the same things than I was.

What about you, what's an unexpected turnoff you've discovered in your dating adventures?


9 comments:

Jonathan said...

Whenever I see a pretty girl with a cigarette in her hand, I instantly think "idiot".

Anonymous said...

I don't do well with girls who have really messy rooms/apts., cats with stinky litter boxes, long hair everywhere, and tatoos. But I'm really picky.

If managed right all these things are no problem. But if unmanaged wrong....i'm out.

Dateafrenchman said...

I once dated a guy with really bad wind. It blew me away, excuse the pun.

Ruby Wildflower said...

This is really interesting that you don't like MMA. I totally respect your desires and can see where you're coming from but as a yoga teacher and all round spiritual person who isn't much into violence, I initially found it hard to deal with that my brother teaches MMA. However, after witnessing his practises and seeing the spiritual rituals and beliefs behind it - I could see the beauty in it! Mindless violence may be a different thing all together than a sport/artform. But you're more than entitled to like whatever you want about a guy :) For me... my dealbreaker is football (Aussie Rules) hahaha...

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

I wouldn't make too many assumptions based on a guy's interest in UFC. One of my friends is a very non-violent, incredibly nice man who happens to enjoy UFC. He's also a loving husband and a stay-at-home dad. I think for him that UFC is a way of staying connected to "the guys" and the masculine side of his life when so many of his other activities are traditionally "female". (That being said, I agree that UFC is pretty disgusting and can't bear to watch it myself.)

Just Sayin... said...

Bad manners etc all the usual stuff, but a more quirky one that turns me off completely are bad tattoos.

You know, the ones that look more like dirt that just won't wash off than one that is well done and worn well.

Neck, chest, forearm tattoo's... it just screams douchebag to me. It's not sexy.

Victoria said...

Yeah, that's a total turn off for me too Jonathan... ick.

Fair enough Anonymous, tidy works for you! :)

Oh no Dateafrenchman! (And now I'm giggling) Oh no!

Good to hear another side of it Ruby :)

I hear ya SD. Manly men must be manly or something like that ;)

JS, I just about snorted laughing at "the ones that look more like dirt that just won't wash off"!

Solitary Diner (Also Known as The Frugalish Physician) said...

Victoria - Ironically, the friend who likes UFC is one of the least manly men I've ever met. He always seems to be wearing an apron and baking when I visit.

Victoria said...

I kind of just fell over laughing :)