Monday 26 September 2011

Habits

It's weird around my apartment right now.

I'm nearly totally packed (and have been well packed for most of the month) and am using just what I'll need for the next week or so.

But what's weird is that things aren't where they've been for...well, ever since I got there (which must be, what, five, six years ago now?)

So, for example, I'll look up to the clock to see what time it is, but the clock's not there. Or the coat hanger that usually sits in that corner has been put in the other room with the boxes so that corner looks empty.

It's a weird sort of lack of things that is odd to adjust to. Seeing things not quite right out of the corner of my eye wherever I am.

Plus, there's the ongoing thought that if I've got so much stuff packed and am not actually using it, and haven't used it for the better part of a month, why do I have it at all?

Like, how much of this stuff, conceivably, could I just never unpack and would never notice it was missing?

It's weird.

And because I'm not moving to a new place, but rather, moving to stay with my parents for a while, I can't quite just box everything up and be done with it.

I'll have to take stuff over to their place to live with while I'm there.

So it's kind of like four moves by the time I'm done.

Moving out of my place.

Moving into my parents'.

Moving out of my parents'.

Moving back into mine.

Knowing that at some point in the future I'll want to move again makes me shudder a little.

It's tiring and disconcerting packing up your life and seeing your stuff in boxes and knowing you're going to be unsettled for a while.

So, yeah, things are a little weird around my apartment right now.

3 comments:

Just Sayin... said...

It builds character.
Plus it reaslly helps you decided what to let go of. I hate moving. I rather throw myself on the ground in public kicking and screaming... but in the end, its a fresh start.

oh who am I kidding, it sucks donkey ass.

chin up love.

Dominic said...

In the last four years, I moved.. let's see...

..from a flat with my girlfriend to a flat on my own..

..from that flat to going travelling round Europe..

..to the USA for a visit..

..to a friend's for a while..

..to a rented room..

..to another rented room..

..to america again..

..back to the rented room.

It gets easier every time - aside from my computer desk, I could probably fit all my worldy goods in my car.

But it still tends to suck.

Victoria said...

Let's see JS... Character building...check. Deciding what to get rid of...check. Fresh start...check. Sucks donkey's ass? Check! LOL

Yeah, you've got a few moves on me there Dominic! ;)