Friday 25 May 2012

Not Sure

Paths by foundimagination
This may sound weird, but I think I've maybe developed an allergy to.... of all things, alcohol.

Now, I'm not quite willing to say for sure, but I'm getting more and more convinced.

I'm not really a drinker anymore, but every once in a while I don't mind heading out for a couple of drinks after work, or the odd girl's night out.

But the last three or four times I've had a drink or two, I've woken up the next morning feeling sick.

Like, not hungover nauseated sick, but like, I have a cold/flu all stuffed up and sore throat and miserable and tired kind of sick.

First time it happened I thought I was just getting a cold. The second time it happened I figured I was run down, but by the third time I started to wonder.

It's not that I *need* to drink, but I do like having the option of being in a social situation and enjoying a drink.

I've been sticking to cosmos lately, so maybe before I give up entirely, I'll try like a gin and tonic, or something without any added flavours or sugary things.

But I think I might just end up not drinking at all anymore and that's a little bit of a bummer.

But not really.

But kind of.

Know what I mean?

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Funny you say a G&T, ... something without added flavours etc, there is so much added to each of those (the gin more than the tonic).

And funny you didn't say that you would see your doctor about this. I hate going to the doctor almost more than anything but even so, I would go get this checked out.

But if you do decide to stop drinking, then there's more for me!

Dateafrenchman said...

I can kind of relate. I think it's just part of getting older. I used to be able to drink and be fine the next day. Then a few years down the line I would drink and get a really bad headache the next day. And now if I drink the next day I'm basically not functional. Which leaves me wondering what's the point? It's true it's nice to have a drink and be social. But I'm starting to think that that drink doesn't have to be alcoholic, it could just as well be a tall glass of Perrier with a slice of lemon.
Put it down to life and adapt to what your body is telling you. And if you're worried, maybe a chat with your doctor will reassure you yes.

Victoria said...

I hear ya Cindy, but it's not really enough of a problem for me to go see the doc. Now, if I was feeling this way after chocolate? I'd be there right away! ;)

Oh man Datea, I remember the "old days" and am happy to have survived them! But yeah, I think my body's just letting me know it's done :)