Monday 27 August 2012

Gradual, But Inevitable

A few weeks ago, I heard a flight of Canadian Geese overhead. Their V-shape was a big scraggly, but they certainly seemed to be heading somewhere, honking their way to their winter destination.

Perhaps this is a solely Canadian event; the honking of migrating Canadian geese heralding the start of Fall and the coming, eventually, of winter.

But nonetheless, I tried to ignore it. Oh, that was just a rogue flock of nervous travellers I told myself. They're just trying to get ahead of the crowd. But unless they've re-done the route three, four, five more times this month, I've heard and seen more flights of geese winging there way south.

I always get a little sad when Fall starts showing up. I love summer, for so many reasons, and while I love Fall once I'm in it, I always wish it would just stay away a little bit longer and leave me with my bright, sunny, long days and my flip flops and bare arms.

Change is the only constant and all that, and seasons are fleeting; they change as we're in them and summer's one I always feel I didn't have quite enough time to enjoy it.

Guess I'll just have to try to really appreciate however much of Summer is left. Even if the geese are trying to tell me there's not much more to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lots of Canadian geese here in jolly old England ... people make remarks and I, being a Canadian accept the compliments on behalf of my home nation ...

the essence of life is change, which is when considered a jolly good thing ... getting autumnal here, we were gardening late yesterday and by 7 p.m. I wanted socks on.

we must be careful not to wish our lives away ...

Victoria said...

Yes, socks aren't too far away here either.

And true, "we must be careful not to wish our lives away", very true.