Monday 10 September 2012

Summer's End

It really does feel like summer's starting to wind down.

Like, we had a couple of scorchingly hot days last week that I was completely unprepared for and sweated my way through, even more so than the hot spells we had earlier in the summer. I think because they came in September I had kind of stopped checking out the weather and so didn't prepare myself with the typical windows fully open, blinds fully down sort of protocol and it was a couple of sweaty days and almost too hot to sleep nights.

But I feel like that was probably the tail end of it and while this weekend was still lovely and sunny and warm, I can feel it just slowly edging towards fall.

There are already a ton of leaves fallen, but that, I think, is mainly from the dryness, but a few of the trees are starting to turn slightly orange at the tips too.

I wear a light jacket on the way to work now, but take it off once I get there, but I imagine it'll stay on longer each morning for the next while.

And I didn't throw off the blankets quite as often over the weekend as I did last week, so we'll see.

I'd love the sun to stay, I think we all would, but we'd all have to move to a different part of the world to have that experience, and I think most of us love it here enough to know the gloomier days to come are worth getting through.

I believe Summer goes until the 21st of September, so I'll squeeze whatever I can out of the longer days and the sunshine we get.

I like Summer, but know Fall has its moments too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victoria,

I know how you feel. When we got to the golf course on Sunday morning at 7:10am, it was 9C...a far cry from the 18-20C it has been for the past three months. And last night was the first night I slept with a blanket since May.

We are still supposed to get some nice weather, but we can tell fall is around the corner. Hopefully the colours will be beautiful this year, but I'm not holding my breath because of the dryness may have stolen the colours.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

Brrrr! I think we'll still have a pretty Fall here :)