Monday 29 October 2012

Memory

When Dad was in having his heart surgery there was what now seems like an enormous amount of time where we just had to wait.

Mom and I went for a walk around Granville Island (we'd decided to stay in a hotel there) while my brother tried to nap in the room.

While we both tried to distract ourselves (game of Scrabble? talk about... something?) I took the occasional photo or two, one of a park bench next to the one we were sitting on, and one of two crows that landed on that same bench a bit later.  Another of a heron standing in the silver water at dusk.

I remember thinking to myself at the time that even when things were awful, there was still beauty in the world, that life was still good.

What I didn't expect, however, is that now, a year and a half later, whenever those photos pop up on my screensaver or background, I'm taken right back to that moment; the waiting, the wondering, the fear.

I often look at photos from when I was a child and wonder if I'm remembering the moment or remembering the photo and making up the moment around it.

Part of me thinks I may have to take these photos out of rotation, to stop bringing it all up again, but maybe not.  Maybe it's just a matter of tricking my memory into remembering that everything's ok now and that I managed to find beauty in a difficult time.

I suppose you could say I "found love in a hopeless place"


2 Irish Boys Sing We Found Love!

3 comments:

Tom said...

Some of my absolute favourite songs are irrevocably linked to memories in my brain. Although I don't want to forget those memories, I really wish I could disconnect them from the music - I really like those songs and I find it hard to listen to them now without all sorts of emotions coming back. Consequently I don't listen to them as much as I'd like.

michelle said...

About 4 years ago I got some less than great medical news while I was at work. I vaguely remember the conversation but I remember that I was looking at the dogwood tree across the street (I was sitting on the steps of the building) and right after I got the news I remember thinking, "that tree is exactly the same as it was 2 minutes ago, but some how this news has changed me" It felt significant, and now years later when I see that tree I remember the feeling.

I believe that photos, music, images, smells, they are all profound parts of our memory and our memory is what makes us who we are with our history.

I vote to leave the images in the rotation. ;-)

Victoria said...

I know what you mean Tom, totally.

Good point, Michelle... I'll leave them in :)