Friday 2 November 2012

So What Does That Say About Me?

I had one of those "Aha!" moments the other day.

It was playing video games, mind you, but still.

I realized that I do much better, and prefer to use a character that has a ranged attack.  So that generally means an archer or a magic user, depending on the game.

I tried, with this particular addiction game to use the "I'm big and strong and beat people up" character, but it just got killed and I realized that it feels better (less stressful maybe?) to be the guy who's shooting down the bad guys from far away while someone else is up in there doing the heavy, hand to hand fighting.

When I'm playing with a group type game (my friends and I used to play COH and I loved it) I, again, tended to be a ranged attacker, and often liked to be a healer as well.

I'm not sure why this is an easier and less stressful and, in the long run, better way for me to play these games, but figure it must say something about me.

What do you figure that is?

I like to keep myself safe while making surprise ... damage?


6 comments:

Tom said...

That is very cool.

Different character types are an indication of personality. Some people like the limelight - they like being in the middle of things doing the exciting stuff. Some people are content to help make the team be great at the expense of their own fame (the support characters - healers, buffers).

In more shooty games you also see how people gravitate towards different weapons. Some prefer loud guns which fire a million bullets in a spray. Some go for the close and personal shotguns and some go for the precision of a rifle type weapon. Knowing who you are and what you like to do will be useful in the zombie apocalypse.

Victoria said...

Tom, in games, it seems to me that limelight just gets you killed!

But, yes, you've brought up the most important point. How does this impact my zombie apocalypse usefulness. I think I shall go for the crossbow a la Daryl. (Assuming my long range sniper type gun is out of bullets I guess) (My main issue with the crossbow is having to then go retrieve my arrows from zombie skulls)

Tom said...

The crossbow is a great weapon - aside from anything else it is mostly silent so you don't have that irritating moment when you think you're safe then a million zombies all show up at once rubbing their stomachs and getting out their silverware.

If we're talking Walking Dead though, I think I'd prefer to be Glenn. His ability to be awesome is largely unmatched.

Victoria said...

Fair point about Glenn. He does get more than his fair share of crap jobs though. You're more than welcome to be Glenn and I'll be Daryl-esque and we're good to go. Maybe get us a Michone?

Tom said...

I did love Glenn's face in season one when he was asked to go back after Merl - that look of "really? again?"

Ok, so the plan is that I'll run around and hide from zombies and you can skin deer. Sounds like a good division of labour to me. If we can find a slightly frightening woman to chop up the undead with a sword then that will be good too...

Victoria said...

Ugh, this zombie apocalypse is going to mean me getting over being squeamish at all. But yeah, consider it a plan!