Friday 16 November 2012

Writing Prompt: What’s The One Thing You Hope Other People Never Say About You?

You know, it's funny, because you'd think that the answer would be something deep and profound:  "she never made a difference in the world", "her life never amounted to anything." 

I certainly expected that to be the response I'd come up with,  but strangely enough,  the answer that kept popping into my head when I thought about this question was that I hope other people never say that they hate me.

"Oh, Victoria?  I hate her."

The thought makes me cringe.

Which is really too bad.  Because I'm pretty sure people hate me.  Or at least someone hates me.  Or has hated me.  Or will hate me.  Or have said they hate me.

I think it's an unrealistic thing to hope.  That no one will ever hate me?  Or dislike me even?  I don't think that's realistic.  And it kind of bums me out to know that this is top of my brain.

I think it's probably a really immature thought.  Probably something still stuck in my psyche from being a teenager, or a kid even.  And I think I should probably figure out a way to grow out of it, because I can only imagine it's holding me back.

I wonder what things I'm doing or not doing, in order to avoid causing people to dislike me?

Or maybe there's a difference between dislike and hate.  I don't know.

But what about you?  What's something that you hope other people never say about you?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Victoria, As background, I'm a Chartered Accountant by profession. The things that pop into my head revolve around integrity, trust, honesty, confidentiality. I hope nobody says anything negative about me, or has been given a reason to say or think negatively about me or my actions, in these areas. If they did, I have failed as a professional and it would feel that I've failed as a person.

Anonymous said...

Hey Victoria, sorry that comment about the accountant was supposed to have my name. My bad.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

Oh, hey, no worries. Commenters all have their own voice to me, so my guess would have been it was you!

Anonymous said...

I have had so many odd, insulting things said to me since I arrived on this island that I no longer care. I know what I am like.
If someone does not like me I question their taste.
Victoria, those who do like you ... who are they anyway? where did they come from? who are their people? who raised them?
dismiss them from your thoughts, they are not worth one sec of distress.
Cdn Anne in England ... the soft spoken Canadian

Victoria said...

A very wise friend once told me that if I stopped caring what other people thought of me, I'd be much much happier. ;)