Friday 21 December 2012

A Whirlwind

And here's where I don't really know how to explain what's gone on in the last few weeks, because I feel like you're all probably sitting there shaking your heads at me.


But I've been "talking" with this guy since the beginning of December now, and it's at a point where I need to tell you about it.

And you'll just have to trust me that I'm not being stupid, and that I'm cautious and aware, and that I'll be ok if things fall apart in the long run, but that I also, kind of don't think they will, you guys.

So, our first week or so of email was pretty basic stuff, here's what I did at work today, how about you.  And then that somehow, I'm not really sure how, morphed into a little bit about where did you grow up, how did you grow up, and how did you get to be where you are now.

In part of those conversations I found myself feeling like, had I taken a slightly different route in life, we might have crossed paths many years ago and so we talked about this a little bit and how, for example, we both want to some day go to Burning Man, and both, in our own ways, are trying to change the world for the better.

Our emails got more personal, longer in length, and I started looking forward to seeing his name pop up in my in-box.

But, of course, you know me, so you'll know that things weren't without my own mind games and self-doubt.

Was this a stupid thing to be doing?  It didn't feel like it.  But it rationally seemed so.

Was there a point to getting to know, and like a person, who I might not click with in person?  No.  But... yes?

And so I have had a thousand thoughts swirling through my head but I've just kept on trusting my gut on this one and so I just kept on doing what felt right, and that was starting to get to know this ... stranger, via email.

2 comments:

Happydog said...

Thought you might like to know my Mom and Dad started writing letters to each other way before they ever met. This was back in the day when you didn't make phone calls unless someone was dying so I don't think they even had a conversation for months before they met. Mom took the bus to Texas to her sister and meet Dad for the first time. And it worked for them they were married for almost 60 years

Victoria said...

Oh HD, that's awesome :) What a great story! Thanks for sharing it!!!