Thursday, 11 April 2013

Goldilocks And The Two (So Far) Hats

Jay found it pretty chilly coming back here after being in much much warmer climes over Winter, so I decided I'd try to improve my (newly acquired!) knitting skills and see if I couldn't make him a hat.

I found a simple enough pattern (which I keep wanting to call a "recipe") and got the right kind of wool (yarn) and the right size of needles and I knitted away.

I had to concentrate (tongue sticking out of the side of my mouth kind of concentration) because it wasn't the simple, straightforward kind of knitting I'd done before.

I was supposed to knit until the... hat...like knitting (pattern?) was 25.5 cm long, but after a while I started to feel like this hat was becoming incredibly... big.

I took it over to my Mom's and she had the genius idea to measure it against a toque she had (why I didn't think of this is beyond me, I just kept trying to awkwardly wrap the knitting, needles and all, around my head) and, sure enough, it was ready to be finished.

I finished the thing and it didn't look too terrible and I was pretty proud of myself!

And then I tried it on to see how it looked.

GIANT!

Ok, well maybe not giant, but I have a huge head and hats rarely fit me and it was big on me.  So... a very large hat.

But it hadn't taken me a very long time so I figured I'd make another, smaller one.

So because the (not recipe) pattern hadn't really worked, I kind of tried to mathematically adjust and I knitted the new hat even faster (well, duh, it was smaller!)

And then I tried that hat on, and, well, wouldn't you know it, it was just a tiny bit tight.

I lay the second hat on top of the first one and it wasn't quite half the size, but I realized that I'd managed to make Goldilocks hats!

This hat was TOOOOOO BIG.  And that had was toooooo small!

I can only hope that the next hat is JUUUUUUUST right!

And they all had warm heads happily ever after.



Updated for you crazies who requested it!  :


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We want to see a picture of the hats!!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:17:00 am  
Anonymous RandomStranger said...

^I second that! :D

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:31:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

Oh dear! ;)

(I shall see what I can do)

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:57:00 pm  
Blogger Tara said...

Hahaha, the picture is priceless! I still commend you on your efforts, though... I can't even knit a scarf!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:30:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

Heh.

As I say now Tara... if I can do it, anyone can do it! ;)

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.