Wednesday, 3 April 2013

The Road

You Heard The Man by foundimagination
I was on the road, and really, really not sure what I was doing.

Or if it was smart.

I kept saying to myself that I was glad it was pouring rain, because that meant I really had to pay attention to the road, so it made it harder to listen to the thoughts racing around in my brain.  But, man, I was tense.


And nervous and wondering what I was doing.

I got to the ferries just in time and sat in the ferry lineup and actually started crying.

I was crying because I was so .... freaked out, but also because I was so proud of myself.

I was proud of myself for not giving in to the bullying my brain always seems to do, and just taking a breath and jumping.

I knew that if I made it, and it all worked out ok, I would be more likely to do something like this again in the future.

And I don't even mean so much the meeting a... pretty much stranger, in a strange place, I mean just the logistics.  Driving to a place I didn't know, meeting someone new, pushing myself way outside of my safe comfort zone.

I remember C-Dawg telling me as much the week before.  Jay had suggested that maybe we could find somewhere to go camping the weekend he was back and I was freaking out to C-Dawg about how he didn't know I don't just... pick up and do things, that I need to plan and figure out and attempt to chill, and C-Dawg told me that she thought I should just pick up and go camp with him.

"This hasn't been a normal courtship in any way, Victoria.  I think you need to just go, be out of your comfort zone here."

Maybe it was partly those words that pushed me, but I messaged Jay from the ferry.

"On the 7."

"You're nearly here!" he messaged back.

I smiled.

The drive there was short, thankfully, and GPSes are wonderful things.  Still, I was nervous as I pulled into the driveway.

Was this the right house?  What would it be like to see him?  What if it wasn't the right house?  Where should I park?  Should I pretend I changed my mind and just go back home?

"I think I'm here."  I messaged him, sitting in my car, my front door open, not really ready or able to step out, just staring at the screen of my phone, wondering what on earth I was doing there.

And then, suddenly, I heard his voice.

"You're here!"

And, there he was.





I didn't want to get out of my car.

I just looked up at him, his smiling face, that I'd come to know so well via video, right there in front of me, smiling back at my cheesy grin.

But I still didn't... (couldn't?) move.

"You can... park over there." he said, motioning.

"Where?  Ok.." I said, dazed, shaking all over.

"But wait... can you get out for just a minute first?"

I nodded, put my phone down, took a step out of the car and threw my arms around him.

And we just stood there, hugging.  Finally in the same space.  Finally meeting.

I just wanted to hold him, and feel his arms around me.

Somehow, I was there.  And he was there.

We'd made it.



9 Comments:

Blogger Matt79 said...

Sounds great! I think it was a good idea of his to ask you to step out for a minute like that to defuse the tension - I'm sure you felt a lot better moving your car after that than you would have otherwise!

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:41:00 am  
Blogger Happydog said...

I got all teary reading this....so happy for you on every level!

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 9:48:00 am  
Anonymous Duff said...

yay :)

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:08:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so happy for u!!
i hope everything goes well :))


silvia

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this is wonderful. So happy you had such a nice first "meeting". Hope the next installment is just as lovely.

Michelle

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:17:00 pm  
Blogger Bea said...

Horraaaaay! This is turning out to be such a cool romance, I love it.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 3:51:00 pm  
Anonymous michelle said...

Wow - amazing - from a single gal still looking for Mr. Right your story is amazing, fun, and inspiring! (It's Michelle I just started a new blog but have commented before).

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:39:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

Totally great idea Matt, and yeah, I felt a lot better (although my legs were still wobbly!) ;)

Aww, thanks HD! :D

Totally yay, Duff! :)

Thanks Silvia!

I'm pretty happy about it too Michelle :)

Yay! Thanks Bea! :D

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 6:40:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

Oh,and hi again Michelle! Seems you were commenting when I was commenting so I didn't see your comment! ;) Yay for your new blog :)

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 7:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.