Friday 4 October 2013

What's The Deal With That?

Parted by foundimagination
Ages ago, I followed a link on a work related site, that took me to another link, etc etc and I eventually ended up on an Australian health website called (I believe) Anxiety Online.

Long (boring) story short, I started a twelve week online course dealing with GAD.  Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Next to PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) it was my highest rating in the quiz I took and I figured, why not, I'm a worrier, this can't hurt.

And, yeah, totally, I fit the bill.  Someone who worries excessively.  And seems to think that the worry is helpful, and productive.  Hi, nice to meet you, me!

But the odd thing is.  I'd sign on, read through a chapter or module or whatever, and would sort of resent it.

And I'd avoid going back to it. 

Which struck me as odd.  Still strikes me as odd.

Here was this thing, set out to specifically help me with the thing that I dislike so much about how I think and I'm avoiding it?  For weeks on end?

What's the deal with that?

Someone with a Psych degree could probably tell me.  It probably means something significant.

I'm just not sure what.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No psych degree, but I'm thinking that worriers (me included) feel more in control and comfortable in our worry, over thinking etc. than in learning to let go of that control? Just a thought!

Victoria said...

Maybe!