Monday 24 March 2014

But... You Promised!

Did anyone else ever make one of those "marriage pacts" with a friend?

You know, like, if we're both still single when we're (insert age that seems unimaginably far away) old, let's just marry each other, ok?

I feel like I've already written about it here, but I totally had a marriage pact with a friend from first year.

I never had a crush on him although all the other girls seemed to.  He was just a good guy and nice and friendly and we remained friends for a number of years.

We drifted apart a bit as you do as lives go on but we stayed in touch with cards and whatnot and you guys can probably figure out where this story is going, but my marriage safety net went and got himself married.

Which, yay, happy for you, but waaaaaaah, what about me?

It was just that feeling of "oh geez, that wasn't supposed to happen" that I pout at every time someone in a movie or book or tv show mentions "oh, my best guy friend and I are going to marry each other if we're still single by the time we're X years old."

Uh huh.  Yeah.  Sure you are.

Until one of you goes off and finds the spouse of their dreams, damnit!

5 comments:

Chhris said...

your mr. right just hasn't found you yet..... be patient...

he likely just out on a secret spy mission..

hugs :P

Victoria said...

True enough, he could be! ;)

Unknown said...

Hahaha I love this. It's so true!!

kandijay said...

I have one of those! He was my supervisor at my job in college. He was cute and charming, and a total womanizer. It was amusing because I had no interest in a player, and he was only interested in me because I WASN'T interested in him! But we were friends, and for some reason made the silly "let's get married if we are both single when we're forty" pact. Except he's three years older than me, and we never agreed on getting married when HE is 40 or when I am.

We're both still single and facebook friends, but I don't know if he remembers that pact. And I don't feel like reminding him. :)

Victoria said...

Thanks Emma ;)

Awww man Kandi! You should ;)