Saturday 22 March 2014

Yes, I Can Hear You Now

I got a series of interesting emails last month that I initially thought were Spam.  And am still somewhat confused by. 

Early in the month I got an email from Verizon regarding my cell phone.

Which would be fine if a) Verizon was a Canadian company and/or b) I had a cell phone with them.

I shrugged it off as spam email, just like I do if I get one from Facebook or Linked in or some other company I don't have an account with. 

But then I got another one the next week telling "me" I'd used a great deal of this month's data allowance already.

Also, my email system wasn't pushing the emails into spam so it made me wonder if it was a bit more legitimate but still somewhat fishy.

When I got another email a few days later saying that I was now at 80% of the data capacity for the month (in just a few days) I started to wonder if someone was scamming Verizon, and using my email in their account to do so... or something... I don't know, I was playing "what if" Detective.

So I went to the legit Verizon (my goodness, the more you type that word, the weirder it starts to sound) site and found a "contact us" email and forwarded the email on to them and said they had the wrong address for one of their customers.

Got another email a day later saying that "I" was now over the data limit... or whatever.

So I went back to the Verizon site, found the "privacy office" info and forwarded the email on to them. 

They got back to me a couple of days later, apologized for any inconvenience, told me they were taking my email out of their system and that sometimes customers typed in the wrong address.

I'm happy they dealt with it and am not mad at them at all, I just kind of wonder if someone was scamming them, or if it was a legitimate mistake at the end of it all.

I know where my suspicions lie but I'm probably just biased, what with being a spy and all.



4 comments:

AFST said...

Hey!

So you're the reason why I got that email from Verizon saying my contract's been terminated for lack of payment on the bill. I almost got away with it!

No seriously, though, I doubt you would have had to pay anything if you hadn't looked into it. Verizon may have your email address, but I doubt they would have had your real info, too. Collections would have still went after the one who started all this.

Victoria said...

Oh no! Sorry! ;)

But, yeah, they had no way to get to me for anything, and I kind of hope collections is going after whoever :D

AFST said...

Aye. Over in Florida, this man received a ticket violation because his license plates closely matched that of the real offending vehicle. His was "CECD60" in Florida plates and the offenders was "CECQ60" in Florida plates as well. The "Q" and "D" look alike...

So the camera got confused and accidentally tagged his instead of the offender's. Same incident, different crime.

Have a good weekend!

Victoria said...

D'oh!

And, thanks, you too :)