Tuesday 17 June 2014

Wow

When I went to buy my Dad a card for Father's Day last week, I was astounded at the price of the cards.

I guess I haven't bought cards in a while (I still have some I printed of my own that I'm using, and I bought some from a dollar store in the states last Summer) but in my mind a card is somewhere under $4.

The cards that I picked up?  More like $7! 

Needless to say, I did not buy my Dad a card for Father's Day.

I feel a little bad about that, because my parents always display the cards I mail them but seven bucks?  Way too much for me.

Is this a reaction to the fact that fewer people are buying cards so they're having to jack up the prices to compensate or are cards in such high demand they can charge what they want?

Yeah, I was pretty surprised, and not in a "ooh, I just won two dollars on a scratch and win!" kind of way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

After all I've sacrificed and given my kids, and will continue to do, I will be highly hurt if they can't give me a card on Mother's Day. There are plenty of cheaper options.. I bought my own cards at a dollar store for Mother's Day.

Jason Langlois said...

The existence of holidays like Mother's Day and Father's Day is almost entirely to sell cards. Which, in the internet era, have been replaced by e-Cards and facebook "Happy Birthday!" type things. So I suspect the jacked up card prices is a function of low demand and high rents in the malls where they sell these things.

But clearly it's been a while since I bought a card, because $5 is what I thought of as high-end.

Laura said...

I'm not a parent, but I agree with Sabrina above. I think about every card my parents gave me (birthday, congrats, just thinking about you, feel better) and the meals, roof over my head, clothing, etc over the years and I wouldn't say $7 is too much. This said, the dollar store is a great option.

Victoria said...

Fair enough

Anonymous said...

with the 7 dollars you could have bought him a CAKE! (or perhaps not) ... a cup CAKE!

I hope you rang him up to speak with him.

Cdn Anne in England who wishes her dear father were still alive

Victoria said...

*hugs*

I spent all morning with him actually :)