Sunday, 30 November 2014

"The Body"

I recently found this photo of Elle Macpherson on her 50th birthday.

Elle Macpherson is a well known supermodel and in this photo, she is stunning, gorgeous, lean, with lovely long hair in a bikini on a yacht at fifty years old.

FIFTY! 

She is an absolute knockout and at an inspirational age.

So I printed the photo out from online and stuck it on my fridge.  I have X number of years to get myself into that kind of shape, I told myself.  If she can do it?  I can do it!  Hurrah!

And I walk past that photo of the terrifically fit and gorgeous 50 year old Ms Macpherson every day...

And it wasn't until the other day that I had a sort of a realization.

Elle Macpherson was born with genes that I was not.  Tall, thin genes.  I didn't get those.

Elle Macpherson has a body shape that I will never have.  Unless, of course, I get massive amounts of plastic surgery and have bones shaved and leg bones stretched and all sorts of things that are actually done in our world but I will never naturally be any taller or less shapely.  I gots curves. 

Yes, I could absolutely be strong and as lean as possible when I'm fifty.  I could be toned and fit and healthy and that is a goal I can certainly reach towards.  But that body?  I'm never going to have.

So I may keep the photo on my fridge a while longer because man, it's great to see you can be what we used to think of as "old" and still look like a gazillion dollars.  But instead of me wanting to look like her, I want to look as healthy as her and I have a good number of years to get there.

I also know that time tends to fly, and that it's easier to gain weight and to lose tone and fitness than it is to get fitter, and I know that Elle Macpherson probably has financial resources to help her that I probably can't afford right now but it's clear she takes care of herself and her body and I can do the same.

Maybe some day, someone will be looking at a photo of me in a bikini somewhere going Wow, Victoria looked like that when she was X years old?  I can do that too!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Elliott said...

You have a very good attitude about body image. I don't have supermodel genes either. But what I can control is fitness and I'm starting to work harder on being fit...cuz it's more work when you're in your mid-40s.

Still need to chase those 20somethings around the hockey rink...and I still can and I can still give them a decent game when I play goalie. Which makes me happy.

And I'm sure there are lots of people who already say that you look fab in a bikini...you just don't like to listen. :o)

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 6:19:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

Somehow I feel like it should get easier to be fit the older you get! Unfair!

Tuesday, December 02, 2014 5:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.