Saturday 22 August 2015

Yeah, But

One of the things that is vitally important down in the desert is staying hydrated. 

I know that sounds obvious, but with so much going on around you, it can be easy to forget to hydrate.  It's something you actively have to be aware of.  It's also the cause of a lot of unnecessary health problems according to the medical personnel down there.

I've been trying, in the weeks leading up to my trips, to hydrate myself better.  To drink more water, in other words.  Yes, it's good to drink water and some days I'm better at it than others, but you know how when you make an effort to drink more water your body isn't sort of used to it and so for a few days you're peeing all the time?  Well, I'd rather my body was used to lots of water before the drive down as needing to pee on a long drive is no fun!  Plus, it's good for me.  And a good habit.

But anyway, on top of that, there's this common saying around the Burning Man community and we're constantly reminded to "piss clear."  Crude wording, I know, but the idea is that you need to be hydrated.  Your health and your mood depend on it.  (That's another great reminder, if you're in the heat and find yourself cranky or upset or just not feeling great in some emotional way?  Drink water.  Oh, and alcohol doesn't count as water.)

So here's the thing I just kind of realized the other day.  I'm not worried about the amount I drink on playa, I'm solid with getting enough water (and electrolytes) and so it's not a worry for me, so I don't need to check the colour of my pee while I'm there.  But if I wanted to?  I couldn't!  It just hit me the other day.  These people who are suggesting I check to make sure my urine isn't too concentrated/dark yellow (indicating dehydration) are probably assuming I'm going piddle in a toilet.   A toilet that has fresh water in it that allows me to see the tint of my widdle.  But I'm not!  I'm using a portapotty.  Plus, I'm not able to... well, see. 

So all these infographics that people are sharing around right now reminding us to check the colour of our urine to ensure we're hydrated?  I can't see my pee when I'm not using a plain old regular toilet. 

The best way I heard some one describe how she checks herself hydration wise is that if she realizes she hasn't had to pee in a few hours?  She's probably not drinking enough.

So yeah.  There's maybe something you didn't need to know today!