Thursday 17 September 2015

Fortunate One

One of the things my trip to Alaska reminded me of is how very lucky I am to live in this part of the world.

This particular coast, and I can now extend that up into Alaska, is absolutely stunning.

It is greens and blues and water and hills and mountains and sky.  The scenery is breathtaking and I get to see it all.  The.  Time!

Sure, I perhaps don't see fjords and glaciers and chunks of ice floating down at my regular beach, but the scenery is still that beautiful ocean and the green green green of the trees and surroundings.

It was interesting talking to some of the locals in the towns we stopped in and hearing that they had similar weather to Vancouver, if perhaps more rain.  I suppose like many people see Canada as a vast, winter wonderland, I had envisioned Alaska (outside of Spring/Summer) as being utterly snowed in and... well, snowy.  So to hear that it's not all that way?  I suppose I felt naive. 

The favourite joke I heard, on a bus trip up to see a glacier was when the fellow driving us was telling us what wildlife we might run into.  As it was the season of the salmon run, he mentioned we might see bears.  He told us, however, that if we saw a bear with no teeth that we should not be worried.

Because those would be gummy bears.

Heh.  Get it?  Gummy... bears?

Yeah, I giggled over that one for a long while.

First night out on the boat I saw what is probably one of the top three sunsets I've ever seen in my life.  The photos I took of it seem faked.  Unreal.  Photoshop coloured or something, but the sky was just that glorious.

But yes.  This coast of this part of the world?  Super, super pretty.  I feel very lucky to live here, and to have seen so much of it.

West coast, you is super pretty!

3 comments:

Happydog said...

We do live in a great place! Speaking of...umm we don't really know each other but thought I'd ask anyway. The Husband and I are back from our 21/2 months away in Europe. And since we put our stuff in storage we've decided to give Victoria a try. So looking for a rental that'll take dogs. We're not rolling in money so I'm guessing the Uplands are out. :) any suggestions of areas to look? Or have someone looking for tenants? Nice retired 60 something's. I definitely don't want to out you on the spot. Just asking 'cause you never know. Please don't feel obligated in any way!

Jason Langlois said...

Rentals in Victoria are hard to find, particularly in September, once all the Camosun/UVic students have flooded into town. Harder even more with dogs. That said, not being young partying students, you might have better luck finding a place.

And I wish we could see the pics of the sunset!

Victoria said...

Oooooh HD that's awesome!!!! Let me find a way to private message you ;)

But, yes, also what Jason says!!! And I'll see what I can do about the sunset Jason :)