Friday 3 June 2016

Unsure

There's no manual on being an adult.

Or, particularly, on being a human in general although I'm sure some religious folk might argue that point.

I just mean there are so many little incidences that happen that no one really prepares you for.

For me?  It was my neighbour screaming.

And I don't just mean an "eek, a spider" kind of scream, I mean, the type of bloodcurdling scream that you know, instinctively, means something is not ok with the human that just made it.

I froze.

Mainly because it was that terrifying of a noise, and that loud, and that out of the blue on a random Saturday afternoon.

I froze because it scared me, but then I didn't know what to do.

There was just the scream.  Nothing else.  No banging or yelling or anything, but, my adrenaline was pumping and I.... wanted to help if help was needed.

I texted Jason "someone just screamed a horrible scream, what do I do."  I mean honestly, I was assuming I knew which apartment it had come from but even in that I wasn't sure.  Jason asked if there had been any other noises and I said no and he said, well, they're probably fine, it was just a spider or something.

I didn't think so but didn't know what else to do other than leave it be.

A few days later, I was leaving the building and walked past the door of the apartment below me and heard a girl having a very upset, very yelly conversation with someone, while bawling, on the phone. 

This, in some ways, made me feel better.  Maybe the scream was just from a piece of bad information they'd received... or a breakup, or something.  But they were upset, but also talking to someone.

A few days after that, there was another scream, followed by a loud noise or two and again, I didn't do anything.

What, really is there to do?  I know I've had at least one yelling match in my apartment (albeit short) that I hoped didn't upset the neighbours, but I also hope that if I was in trouble, my yells would be heard and help would come.

I dunno.  But I do know I was never given a rule book or manual when I moved out of my parents' and out on my own...

Not really sure how to adult sometimes.

4 comments:

Elliott said...

We had neighbour screaming a few years back just after we went to bed. We looked out the window and saw them driving up the road pulling a trailer that was fully engulfed in flames. I ran out to help and managed to the trailer unhooked from the truck, but couldn't save the trailer.

Screams are the worst, even more so for you. We don't have many neighbours and it's easy to tell where the scream is coming from. Random screams in apartment buildings must be very hard to deal with.

It is hard being an adult. I've got more experience than you and I'm still confused about adulting.

Jonathan Beckett said...

Difficult call. You're right though - there is no instruction book. We're all making it up as we go along. I was taught by my parents never, ever to get involved in an argument between two people in a bar - especially if they look like partners - because they will invariably both turn on you. Never seen it happen, but the advice has stuck with me.

Jason Langlois said...

I think you're supposed to contact the non-emergency Police line and report it, if you're concerned. 911 would be if it continued, probably.

And yes, if the show COPS teaches us anything, it's that getting directly involved in someone's domestic dispute is not going to end well for you.

Victoria said...

Oh goodness E, that would have been so frightening! Glad you were there to help. And yes, random screams in an apartment building are... not fun.

Fair point Jonathan.

Oh dear Jason, now I'm singing that song! ;)