Thursday 19 October 2017

It's Been A Pleasure Doing Business With You, Mr Downie

Pausing for a moment to say that I am broken-hearted that Gord Downie, the lead singer of The Tragically Hip... a band that was the soundtrack to my (and so many other Canadians') life has died.

There's an immense pain and sadness and the words and tributes that came out yesterday were bittersweet.

I had the Hip on shuffle all day yesterday.

Jason had me over and we played some songs extra loud on his really good stereo.

We all got the chance to say goodbye to him already.

This doesn't make it hurt any less.

Gord inspires me for so many reasons.  He was authentic.  He could write.  He was a wordsmith.  He was so... real.

And he reminded us that Canada needs to change for the better.  To pay attention to all of us.

When I left on my trip last year, I taped a sign in the back window of my van... "In Gord We Trust."  

Honestly, I was holding out for a miracle.  And I've been told that the amount of time we got with him post diagnosis was a miracle.  But I selfishly wanted more.

Not just for me.  For Canada.  For his family.  His children.  His bandmates.  For all of us. 

My words are inadequate.  Gord's never were.

4 comments:

Elliott said...

We all knew this day was coming. We all still are crushed that it actually arrived. All the stations in these parts played Hip all day yesterday. Tears rolled down my cheeks almost all afternoon as I listened.

So many great songs. So many great times with friends at concerts. So many roadtrips to arenas and golf courses all over SW Ontario with the Hip blasting. Too few years of sharing my love of the Hip with my kids and watching them grow into fans...glad we got to go to 3 or 4 concerts together.

RIP in Gord. You've touched all Canadians so deeply. Here's to many more years of roadtrips, bonfires, and good times with friends with the Hip songs playing in the background. Thank you for all you have done.

Jason Langlois said...

Words do seem inadequate. Just profoundly and deeply sad at his passing.

toad said...

Gord was one of a kind.

Victoria said...

Amen E. (And in some ways I'm glad I'm reading this now and not a month ago, would have been too much for my heart)

Still really hard Jason... *hugs*

He really was Go Toads.