Tuesday 4 September 2018

Sigh

One of the Burning Man related things that threw me/bummed me out this year were several social media-famous type people I follow were SUPER STOKED to announce they were going for the first time this year.

Yes, Burning Man is for anyone.  (Kinda) But I feel like these folks went because they heard about it from the mainstream media... which represents it in a way that is not really what it means to a lot of us.  Plus they're "famous" so it feels like an attention grab or something.  I know, I'm sounding jaded or something it's just... sigh.

I just finished watching a couple of videos from one of these people and I've actually now unfollowed them.  The event/place is very dear to me and I don't like to see it represented in a way that I think is false.  Plus this particular person sounded kind of jerk-like (polite words, I really want to say "douchy") talking about it so... not someone I need in my feed. 

Anyway.  Just... whining I suppose.  Perhaps slightly jealous of them having what I imagine is far more financial ability to go than I have right now.  And sad that it is now so well known/mainstream that people I assume would know nothing about it suddenly seemed to think it was cool enough to want to go.  Meh.  I dunno.

Sigh.

Can't go backwards. 

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Burning Man has, in what feels like a very short time, turned into a THING. It's something I've known about for ... oh man, a couple decades now... thanks to having some internet friends living in California who talked about it in an IRC channel I hung out in, back in maybe 94 or 95.

But now it feels like it's becoming a new Coachella or Toronto Film Festival or San Diego Comic Con thing - an EVENT you have to attend to gain some kind of cred.

I mean, I don't know if that's true, but in the last couple of years, it's just felt that way in how I see it talked about in the media and by people on the social medias.

Which is kind of sad, given what I understand as the goals of the event.

Victoria said...

^^^This.

Yep.

:(