Tuesday 27 February 2024

An Ever So Slightly Belated Christmas Dinner Story

So yeah, in part because we had our Christmas dinner here (at my place, and belated because of reasons), I felt like I should participate in the preparation of said dinner (we'd already bought the food, Jason just brought over whatever else we might need or might not have at my place) and then once I got going it just sort of seemed logical for me to keep going and so Jason got to like supervise but also relax and not have to do the work.  It was a lot (of course!) and I got hot (duh) and it's both of note and interesting to me that my Hydro (electrical) bill was like triple the norm on that day what with the oven going and all the lights on and stereo going (but probably mainly the oven).  I said to Jason after that if I had been in this type of role in a household (say married with kids) I would have gotten really resentful but that's not the point.  Jason and I had a conversation later where he kept saying how proud he was of me for cooking the dinner.  I said sure, I did it but I didn't REALLY do it.  Like, I didn't make the recipes.  I didn't choose what we were doing to eat or the ingredients to go in it.  I didn't make any of it up myself and I just did what someone told me to do.  So yes, I TECHNICALLY did the cooking but I didn't really make the meal, in my mind anyway.

Maybe I did the difficult part, the tiring part but I didn't do the whole thing on my own, and had he not been there telling me what to do (and sometimes how to do that) things would not have gotten done.

And I know it seems like I'm putting myself down and maybe I am and yes I'm trying to change that but it wasn't a full turkey (it was a breast), and it was only potatoes and turnip and gravy so not even stuffing or cranberry (we never do) anyway so I mean I get that it was special for him to have someone cook for him and maybe that's what matters the most but I don't feel like I can say I cooked a complete Christmas dinner, you know?

If you've known me though, you know this was quite a big deal no matter what we call it.  I don't cook.  I can, but I don't.  I don't like it, I don't enjoy it, so I don't.  But after doing this with Jason's guidance I realize it's something I wouldn't mind working on and improving.  

So for my January birthday, Jason bought me some really good cooking utensils (which I told him, ordinarily is NOT a good gift to get a woman/spouse/wife/girlfriend but we'd make the exception this time as he was legit trying to set me up for success and ease in my new learning!) and I bought a cast iron pan (I've used one before but always been intimidated by the cleaning of them for some reason) and while I haven't really cooked any meals since Christmas, I have cooked more things than in the last chunk of years and so here's to trying to new things and pushing comfort zones and getting better at things you might ordinarily avoid.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I don't know, that sounds like a pretty full Christmas Dinner for 2 people. I'm impressed!

Victoria said...

:) Thanks :)