Wednesday 29 January 2020

Bang Chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

When we had the snow the other week, the day that lots of things were closed because of it (the overnight dump of a foot or so), I was chilling on my couch when I heard someone turn on the water.

It's something you get used to in an apartment, or at least I have, but you hear the running water of your neighbours.  I think I really only hear my upstairs neighbours but who knows.

So someone turned on the water full force to take, I assume a shower. 

And the shower was loud, and long.

Really long, actually.

As in, an hour or two later I started to wonder what was going on.

I put my ear to walls.  I went out into the hallway.

I even, eventually wandered the entire building but the running water noise was really only on our end/side.

After most of the day of this I started texting people... "uh... what does a broken pipe sound like?"  And most everyone said it was probably not a broken pipe, but that I should check for water around my place anyway.  So I did, and no, my apartment was fine.  No leaks to be seen.  Plus no change in my water pressure that I could notice and I still had heat and water.  But.... the water was still fully running... somewhere.  What should/could I do?

I sent a message to the manager person "hey, I know it's not a good day for this and I'm no expert but... maybe there's a broken pipe?"  I saw a few neighbours in the hallway who weren't concerned, but the ones above me had also noticed it and figured it was maybe the boiler working overtime in the cold?

Manager person got back to me about an hour later "yes, broken pipe, we're dealing with it." so I guess now I know what a pipe breaking sounds like?

It was an "outside" pipe that I guess wasn't winterized and I have no idea where all that water went or what it actually looks like when a pipe bursts and now that I think about it I think I'm going to go google that!

But yeah... it wasn't my neighbour having an all day shower... it was a burst pipe.  There you go!

No comments: