Friday 2 July 2021

Inch By Inch

In a sudden turn of events, I'm getting my second Covid vaccination shot tomorrow. 

I got my invitation to book not too long ago and managed to find an opening in the middle of the month.

Then, a couple of days ago, C-Dawg texted me that she'd managed to find an earlier booking, so I signed in and used the rebook feature to see if there was anything sooner.  There wasn't, only appointments in July, which I texted her.

Victoria, she said, July is THIS WEEK!

You can't really fault me, I haven't slept with this heat in nearly a week so I'm "functioning" on approximately half a brain cell, but I laughed and got back on line and managed to book for July 3rd which, holy smokes, is tomorrow!!!

I've cried a little that two weeks from now I will be pretty darn protected from this stupid virus.  And that maybe, just maybe I can hug my parents, or visit friends in the comfort of their homes.  I mean absolutely no offence to Jason who has been a wonderful "Covid buddy" this last long while, but damn I miss seeing C-Dawg in more than a drive by and talk at a distance situation.  I haven't seen my brothers or their kids in... well, you know the math.  And while I've been ok with that, the fact that maybe people will start being more comfortable with closer contact?  I'm feeling very emotional about that.

Sure, I'm a little nervous about potential reaction to the shot, but thank heavens it has cooled down a bit so that if I do not feel well, at least I'm not going to also be dealing with that literally deadly heat. (We've had huge numbers of sudden deaths and they believe many of them were heat related.  Plus an entire town that set a heat record - Lytton, BC - just completely burned down from a heat related forest fire.  This wasn't just "gosh it's hot", this was brutal, devastating, and unfortunately, deadly heat.

But that aside... I know Covid isn't over.  I know this pandemic isn't anywhere near over.  I'm nervous about the reopening and the variants and I'm not going to really be changing my behaviours all that much but I am going to have another layer of protection and I am so grateful for that.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

16th for me. At least its a big step to returning to some kind of normality.

Victoria said...

Oh congrats! And yes, it is a step in the right direction.