Wednesday 20 July 2022

Gummy

I was sitting here thinking about writing this post and I had the thought "is there a mouth doctor... not a dentist"?  Like is there a specialty for being a doctor of mouths but not a dentist, and I know about oral surgeons but I don't think that's what I mean and so after a bit of googling the answer is "no, not really", so yeah... ok then.  Hi.

My gums are not happy.

Like the gums in my mouth, the ones that hold my teeth (which is what I said when I was talking to C-Dawg and couldn't remember the word... "the things that hold your teeth?").  My gums.  Now the word is sounding super weird.  Gums.  Gums.  My gums.  GUMMMMMMMS.

Ahem.

Ok so my teeth holders are not happy.  They get unhappy from time to time and I never know why and right now is an example of that.

I'm pretty sure my gums get sore and swollen when I'm run down.  Like it's a sign for me that I'm fighting something or under the weather or something like that.  But I still don't know what's actually happening.

Like I felt not well this weekend.  (Rapid test negative... shrug.)  And while I was feeling this "unwell", the upper right back portion of my gums got unhappy.  Like swole up?  Swelled up? (I dunno).  Sore and a little throbby and puffy.  And sore to eat if something touched it like a cracker omg ow.

But just in that one area/side.

So I tried things.  I brush and floss daily, I kept up with that.  I gargled with salt water.  I did a diluted hydrogen peroxide rinse.  But I don't think anything helped and I don't know what happened.

Like really, did I eat something and have an allergic reaction?  That happens to me from time to time... I eat something and the roof of my mouth gets sore right away.  Allergic?

The internet suggests that I got gingivitis, but would it really be just in one area?  I suppose?

Maybe I have a viral infection (sigh) but again why is the irritation located in just one spot....

And honestly, I'd love some answers, but this doesn't seem to happen when I'm at my dentist (issues there btw....am overdue for a cleaning) and when I do mention gum issues to them they don't seem overly concerned.  And I don't think I've ever mentioned it to my doctor or anyone because unless it's actively happening I tend to forget about it and when it's actively happening I don't know how to describe it... is it swollen gums?  An infection?  A cold sore or anything (nope, nothing to be seen other that swelling and irritation)?  Is a piece of food stuck in there?  (I don't think so?)  So without having a strong sense of WTF I don't know how to talk about it.

Sigh.

Being a human is hard y'all.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I continue to thing the human body is weird.

I'd say keep mentioning it to the dentist.

Victoria said...

SO weird!!!