Tuesday 28 May 2024

Weirdness Indeed

It's not news that my body is aging.  I mean that's a weird reality from the day you're born, right?  You and your body are getting older moment by moment, but that's not really what I mean.  I more mean my body is changing in some ways that I am certain I am safe to assume are related to age and I'm not super in love with that.

Like, sure, we all hear about wrinkles and grey hair as "age related" body things and I have read and seen more about menopause and peri-menopause these last few years (although not so much about changes in hormone levels for both genders... that's totally a thing we should be talking about too.)

I mean like things that I'm noticing in my body/system that I'm not sure if they're related to my life style and choices or if they're age related or both?

Like I mentioned that I woke up last week with a very stiff and sore upper body and that I didn't know what that was about.

A decade or more ago, I would be able to trace that pain and stiffness to the thing I did the day before.  You know how it can go... you do a bunch of gardening and then hurt the next day, or you help someone move and your arms ache for a few days after, know what I mean?  That "I did this" kind of pain were you can point to the source. 

But this?  Did I sleep badly?  Didn't feel like it.  Was I fighting off an illness/flu/bug?  Sure, maybe?  But what if, I said to myself, what if this is pain and stiffness because I did NOT do a thing?

I mentioned that I've gone to a water fitness type class a few times right?  Well it is a LOT more movement than I've had my body do in a long time, including more upper body stuff than I'm currently used to.  Doesn't hurt or tire me at the time, but I'm sure those muscles and things are working and being used and tiring.  And rather than hurting the next day like I'm used to... what if they're hurting a week later when I haven't used them the same way in a while?  Like what if my body is now getting more sore when I DON'T use it (after having used it)?  Is that a thing?

I mean I've heard that sort of theory/idea before... that you keep mobile to keep pain free, especially for older folks but is this that?  I don't know.

Am I possibly overthinking it all and I just slept funny?  Sure?  But also is it a bad thing if my body is encouraging me to move more rather than less?  No, not really, it's just kind of inconvenient, you know?

So yeah, there are things happening with my body that may be related to age or may not be and my suspicion around which is it is just that.

I know I don't get younger and that things don't... like reverse or revert and I think I'm maybe thinking of a body I had a decade ago, or two.... and even if I did, I'm not doing what I did back then, so it's hard to compare fairly.  But anyway... just to say, I'm hardly old and I don't quite know how to keep my body "good" knowing that it is changing all the time and I've relied on good genetics most of my life and that's probably going to not be so helpful going forward exactly.

No comments: