Wednesday 15 August 2007

This Just In: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


I'm sleepy.

Which may be, in part, due to the half of a sleeping pill I took last night after pulling an all-nighter after napping the other day. And, yes, I did get rather "thoughtful"* around four in the morning on my no-sleep night and, yes, I did write a letter to Smith and, yes, I did mail it already thank you very much, ooops. (Oh, well, can't un-mail it now, and it's not as if anything can get any worse. He can't re-dump me, right?)

(But can you imagine that phone call? "Hi, Victoria? Remember how I said it just wasn't working out and it was over? Well, I just wanted you to know, I'm breaking up with you.")

(Actually, that might be worse. Damn. Never mind)

So it could be that I'm sleepy due to that half a (Doctor prescribed, non-addictive, non-overdosable, kind of namsy pamsy so don't worry please) sleeping pill I took last night, or it could be from my first ever acupuncture appointment today. (And by the way did you know that that word does not have a double c? Me either!)

The experience itself was pretty much what I expected discomfort-wise; I'd talked to friends before and had been told over and over again that it didn't *hurt*.

Which it didn't.

If you're at all reticent about acupuncture because of the whole needle thing, let me assure you it is nothing like getting a shot or blood taken or that hideous thing the dentist uses to torture you. Nothing. Those things don't feel nice. If you've ever accidentally jabbed yourself with a needle while sewing (I can barely sew on a button, hence the jabbing) you might know the feeling I'm talking about. Some of the needles kind of felt just a tiny bit like that when going in, and others didn't really feel like much at all.

My Doctor (of TCM) let me know that some of the (holy cow, amazing sky right now, hang on, must.get.camera) (Never mind, can't catch the colours on film right, but if you're listening psychically now all you locals? LOOK UP! Nice eh?) points might feel a little intense and sure enough a couple of times she'd tap in a needle and it'd feel a bit like a baby bee sting for a moment or two. Also, there was one she put in my foot and I felt like I wanted to scratch it like a mosquito bite. And one that went in that tickled. Seriously.

The most difficult part for me was wanting to keep still. See, they tap the needles in (well, not IN, so much as, just kind of a little) and then leave them to do their healing magic stuff for a while. I wanted to curl up and nap, but didn't want to move the needles. I took a look at all the needles to see what I looked like (there were only about 14 total so it wasn't too odd looking) and gave myself a good chuckle/slight gross out when I moved a finger and a needle moved too. One not near my finger. Bwa!

So while I didn't love the process the same way I love massage therapy (mmmmm, massage) neither did I hate it. It was kind of uncomfortable, but calming at the same time. My overall reaction is a "huh". (Kind of what I thought when I first gave a blow job, oh-my-god did I just say that let's pretend I didn't, 'kay?) I think I'll wait another few visits before I decide what I think overall.

In other words, if this stuff works? Then it's awesome and totally worth it.

By the time I got home (and, yes, I promise I'm getting back to the point of this post now) I was feeling rather dozy. And a little bit tender in my wrists where the needles went, but not in the other spots. I did some googling and called my girlfriend who's had a lot of 'puncture (oooh, bad nickname) done and she said that both the tiredness and achy/soreness was normal. So I'm normal. (Guffaw)

The whole experience really made me want to talk to Smith (who's currently unreachable in Military land, not just unreachable because I "lost" his number) because, well, he's a licensed acupuncturist. (I know. Can you *see* why I'm having such a hard time letting him go?) So, yeah. I wanted to check in with him and see if this and that was supposed to be feeling a little pinchy and was I sleepy on purpose or what?

Computer says, yes.

So yeah. I am sleepy. Not only is it expected after a treatment, but it is also partially what I went in to see them about, so, yay!

Which leads me to the accompanying photo. (Awesome, awesome, AWESOME abrupt segue. I rule!) I was going to put up a photo of an acupuncture treatment, but figured it might make someone with a needle "thing" barf or something. Plus, the internet seems obsessed with photos that make acupuncture look FREAKY. (Go on, google image search, you know you want to now) So instead, I give you kind-of-attractive-news-guy and a link to this. Because, come on, how bad can it be if she can do it?

Ok. I'm going to bed now. I figure I can make it through half a chapter before I konk out completely.

'Night night peoples in my time zone.




*And by "thoughtful", I mean "thinking too much but in a rather clear way and able to put together thoughts that might ordinarily be jumbled". Not "I'm so depressed/angry and want to make my ex suffer" kind of way. Those letters are bad. Don't mail them.

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

oh sure, just sneak in the blowjob comment and make me nearly spit out my lemonade. LOL

I've always wanted to try acupuncture but needles have never bothered me. ;)

Victoria said...

Sorry 'bout the lemonade!

Victoria said...

Are you sure it wasn't an ADD attack from purgatory?

I'm just sayin...

I'll think about telling the blow job story ; ) It may take a few beers though!

Victoria said...

Uh, oh.

Um, Delton? I seem to have erased your comment (sorry, haven't really woken up yet, my bad) but yeah, I'll keep you guys updated about how it all goes in acupuncture land!

Sorry!

(tsk, tsk careless fingers)

Likalia said...

How is Stardust? Is it a good read? Worth adding to my wishlist?

Victoria said...

So far so good. I'll let you know!