Tuesday 14 August 2007

Up For Interpretation

I know I've talked before about dance and what it means to me, and how the tv show So You Think You Can Dance regularly comes up with dances created by world-class choreographers that simply stun me.

There was a dance last season that stunned a lot of people. Including the people who apparently know things about TV.

As I was re-watching this particular dance along with several others, it struck me that in this dance I can see the story of Smith and I played out, nearly perfectly. In fact, I could probably sit down with you in front of this video and explain how this part is showing when this happened and that part shows when I realized this.....all the way through right up until the end where he walks away.

I think this is what great art does, and dance, good dance tells stories that you can relate to your life. Great dance allows you to interpret what you need to from what the dancers are saying. Knowing what you do, when you watch this dance, what story does it tell you about what I feel happened with Smith and I?

What's your interpretation?


Calling You - Choreography by Mia Michaels


4 comments:

Likalia said...

What you think EVERYO post should get a comment? Sheesh - so demanding.

*ahem*

Cool dance - still prefer someone else singing the song though. :)

Delton said...

I can't really comment on how this dance is a reflection of what you went through with Smith, since I am too new around here still. However, based on the dance, it looks like you came together for a while, had some good times, tried to make more and then he turned his back and walked away. Ok, you've already told me that much the last few posts anyway.

Once again, cool dance. If the rest of the show is on the level of the dances you've been sharing, I may have to start watching it regularly.

Also, on the look of your blog, I'd be happy to offer to help you if you want to tweak your layout. If you want, just shoot me an email and when I get back from my vacation next week I'll try to give you a hand.

Victoria said...

Yes, Likalia, EVERYO! *giggle*

Nah, I just think posts get so lonely when they're all commentless.

And you just need to pretend real hard it's not Celine. I very much am not a fan.

Victoria said...

Yay Delton! Well done with your interpretation! See? That wasn't so hard was it? ; )

The last couple of dances have been choreographed by the same lady and usually there's one of her things every episode or two. As for watching regularly, you may have to wait til next year; the show's finishing up just now! :D

And yeah, I may shoot you an email next week, but I'm back at work so I may be too grumpy/busy to fidget with blog stuff! ; )

Have a good vacation!