Monday 11 August 2008

August Will Insist It's Time We Kiss Before We Disappear


Apparently a year ago, Smith and I were breaking up. (Or, finally, officially really for real this time Breaking Up, I guess I should say.)

I hadn't really thought of it, but I vaguely remember having made a post last August about how it was a good month to be broken up with.

So I looked in my archives to find the post and as I was scrolling through August, I found out that it's almost a year to the day that Smith ended things.

Weird, eh?

Does a year make a difference? Yep.

Do I miss Smith? Nope.

Do I regret being with him? A little. I think more, though, that I regret believing what he said when we first met. And I hope that that's what I take from our relationship; that words mean little when not backed up by actions. No matter how wonderful and meaningful and well meant the words are.

I heard it said really well in Randy Paush's Lecture when he said that the best advice he ever heard about love and relationships was from his friend Syl who said "When it comes to men that are romantically interested in you, it’s really simple. Just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do."

Just ignore everything they say and only pay attention to what they do.

So damn true.

Only pay attention to what they do.

That'll tell you everything.


August. You strange, strange creature you.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, from my own experiences, I'd add a qualifier to that:

DO pay attention to what they DON'T say...

Victoria said...

Oh damn, now I'm confused! lol

Anonymous said...

Ehm.. well.. to pick a completely random and entirely, completely hypothetical example..

If he never tells you "I love you" then the chances are that it's because he doesn't.

cocoa_no_gogo said...

Everything passes,
Everthing changes,
Just do what you think you should do.

Yvonne said...

So, so true! ;(

Victoria said...

Dominic, yeah, that makes sense. Heh.

Cocoa, true point man...true point.

Yvonne, it's a good thing to remember though, eh?

Yvonne said...

It sure is, V! And intellectually, I know this but I tend to get discombobulated and confused by the (meaningless) words!
Damn theory vs. practice. ;(

Victoria said...

That's so darn true...unfortunately :(

dilling said...

April come she will
When streams are ripe and swelled with rain;
May, she will stay,
Resting in my arms again.

June, she'll change her tune,
In restless walks she'll prowl the night;
July, she will fly
And give no warning to her flight.

August, die she must,
The autumn winds blow chilly and cold;
September I'll remember
A love once new has now grown old.
(Simon and Garfunkel)

Jack and Jill said...

Actions speak louder than words, as they say.

It's good advice.

Victoria said...

Oooh Dilling, one of my faves! *runs off to play it*

Jack and Jill, it's true, it's good advice. I'm going to be asking for a lot of help remembering to adhere to it next time I start smooching a guy ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, you don't even miss him anymore? I'm so happy for you!