Friday, 6 August 2010

Remorse


I have buyer's remorse. I knew I would, but this time it's mixed with just general guilt over over-spending money that could be, I'm sure, better used.

When I'm making bigger purchases, or ones I think will have an impact on my life (read: car, camera, etc.) I mull them over for a while. For a long while in some cases.

It took me a couple of years to work up the nerve to buy a new car. And even once I'd made the decision to do it, it still took a while. And as amazing and awesome and lovely as my delicious new car is, I still had buyer's regret. Well, only a tiny bit, really. I just had a hard time getting used to parking it and that added to the stress of having promised to pay someone a chunk of money for the next few years. So while I may have loved my new car (and still do, oh do I ever) it still had some stressful moments in the early days.

My newest purchase is the same.

See, I did buy a new camera.

That's it in the photo up there. Or, at least, that's the part of it I have so far.

You see, I bought the camera on very little physical research. (And now that I'm going to talk about cameras I know I'll lose a bunch of you.) It was part of that whole "need to buy something awesome to take my mind off of the fact that my closest friend is moving away in X number of days" thing and although I'd been contemplating a digital SLR, the guy in the shop recommended this non-SLR but close Olympus camera and I went home, researched it online and bought it.

Sigh.

I was excited when it arrived and I knew the pictures would be better in terms of camera jargon stuff I don't understand like megapixels and sensors and stuff, but I hadn't realized that the camera didn't have the same, or anywhere near the same zooming capability that my old sweetheart of a camera had and this was a disappointment.

But, still being in my spendalot mode, I decided that instead of returning the camera and getting a different one (which might have been smart, but I also do really like the closeups this camera does and oh my goodness, HD video, hello new best friend) I'd just go ahead and buy a zoom lens.

Sigh.

So now I'm having buyer's remorse over something that hasn't even arrived yet. What if it's not enough of a zoom? What if it makes the camera too heavy to carry around with me when I walk? What if it's a good zoom, but doesn't let me do regular distance? Why don't I know more about things I'm spending tons of money on? Why didn't I just buy an SLR instead of this camera and a lens? Why did I rush into this? Should I just return it all and stick to my old camera? What if my old camera feels sad? What if I never get as good pictures? What have I done?

I'm 99% sure that this is the same "it's hard to park" stage I went through with my car and that soon enough I'll love this camera and its lenses just as much (if not more than) as I love my old camera.

I'm not a fan of buyer's remorse. Which means it's going to suck when I eventually buy a house.

Sigh.

What have you bought recently that gave you a wicked case of buyer's remorse? (Heh, I just gave myself the giggles thinking that "buyer's remorse" could apply to some of my relationships. "Oh crap, I can't believe I let myself sleep with him.")

8 Comments:

Anonymous Dominic said...

You appear to be implying that you bought your ex-boyfriends with that last paragraph, you know :)

I bought a motorbike.. no remorse so far tho! :)

Friday, August 06, 2010 11:41:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

HA! Hilarious :)

Glad you're happy with your bike

Friday, August 06, 2010 4:14:00 pm  
Blogger Bruce McKay said...

Well when buying a bike you take it for a ride... :P As for cameras I thought this was a dslr. The good thing is Olympus has great lenses for it... just research and get them on ebay... :) great deals there. i know what you mean about the anxiety though as I am getting new roofing for my lake house and buildings on the property and negotiating with my handyman tenant over the cost of it now. I always see things like cameras and stuff as investment in happiness.

http://yellowsnowphotography.blogspot.com

Friday, August 06, 2010 5:57:00 pm  
Blogger Victoria said...

I was thinking that today Bruce, I wish they had the ability to loan you a camera for a few days before you bought. No, not a DSLR. Sigh. We'll see. Hope the roof goes well

Friday, August 06, 2010 6:42:00 pm  
Blogger Duffy said...

I bought some gig tickets yesterday to a band I'm not sure I even like. Cue bigtime remorse :(

Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:51:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

Aw! But, you'll most likely have a ton of fun anyway... right? I hope?

Sunday, August 15, 2010 3:56:00 pm  
Blogger Duffy said...

Yay!

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:22:00 am  
Blogger Victoria said...

:D

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:47:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Please don't steal stuff from here, it's not nice. But leave a comment, why don't cha? And drink more water. It's good for you.

P.S. If you think you know me? You probably don't. If you're sure you know me? Pretend you don't. I'll never admit I know what you're talking about anyway.

P.P.S. All this stuff is copyright from then til now (Like, 2006-2017 and then some.) Kay? Kay.