Friday 6 August 2010

Remorse


I have buyer's remorse. I knew I would, but this time it's mixed with just general guilt over over-spending money that could be, I'm sure, better used.

When I'm making bigger purchases, or ones I think will have an impact on my life (read: car, camera, etc.) I mull them over for a while. For a long while in some cases.

It took me a couple of years to work up the nerve to buy a new car. And even once I'd made the decision to do it, it still took a while. And as amazing and awesome and lovely as my delicious new car is, I still had buyer's regret. Well, only a tiny bit, really. I just had a hard time getting used to parking it and that added to the stress of having promised to pay someone a chunk of money for the next few years. So while I may have loved my new car (and still do, oh do I ever) it still had some stressful moments in the early days.

My newest purchase is the same.

See, I did buy a new camera.

That's it in the photo up there. Or, at least, that's the part of it I have so far.

You see, I bought the camera on very little physical research. (And now that I'm going to talk about cameras I know I'll lose a bunch of you.) It was part of that whole "need to buy something awesome to take my mind off of the fact that my closest friend is moving away in X number of days" thing and although I'd been contemplating a digital SLR, the guy in the shop recommended this non-SLR but close Olympus camera and I went home, researched it online and bought it.

Sigh.

I was excited when it arrived and I knew the pictures would be better in terms of camera jargon stuff I don't understand like megapixels and sensors and stuff, but I hadn't realized that the camera didn't have the same, or anywhere near the same zooming capability that my old sweetheart of a camera had and this was a disappointment.

But, still being in my spendalot mode, I decided that instead of returning the camera and getting a different one (which might have been smart, but I also do really like the closeups this camera does and oh my goodness, HD video, hello new best friend) I'd just go ahead and buy a zoom lens.

Sigh.

So now I'm having buyer's remorse over something that hasn't even arrived yet. What if it's not enough of a zoom? What if it makes the camera too heavy to carry around with me when I walk? What if it's a good zoom, but doesn't let me do regular distance? Why don't I know more about things I'm spending tons of money on? Why didn't I just buy an SLR instead of this camera and a lens? Why did I rush into this? Should I just return it all and stick to my old camera? What if my old camera feels sad? What if I never get as good pictures? What have I done?

I'm 99% sure that this is the same "it's hard to park" stage I went through with my car and that soon enough I'll love this camera and its lenses just as much (if not more than) as I love my old camera.

I'm not a fan of buyer's remorse. Which means it's going to suck when I eventually buy a house.

Sigh.

What have you bought recently that gave you a wicked case of buyer's remorse? (Heh, I just gave myself the giggles thinking that "buyer's remorse" could apply to some of my relationships. "Oh crap, I can't believe I let myself sleep with him.")

8 comments:

Dominic said...

You appear to be implying that you bought your ex-boyfriends with that last paragraph, you know :)

I bought a motorbike.. no remorse so far tho! :)

Victoria said...

HA! Hilarious :)

Glad you're happy with your bike

Anonymous said...

Well when buying a bike you take it for a ride... :P As for cameras I thought this was a dslr. The good thing is Olympus has great lenses for it... just research and get them on ebay... :) great deals there. i know what you mean about the anxiety though as I am getting new roofing for my lake house and buildings on the property and negotiating with my handyman tenant over the cost of it now. I always see things like cameras and stuff as investment in happiness.

http://yellowsnowphotography.blogspot.com

Victoria said...

I was thinking that today Bruce, I wish they had the ability to loan you a camera for a few days before you bought. No, not a DSLR. Sigh. We'll see. Hope the roof goes well

Duffy said...

I bought some gig tickets yesterday to a band I'm not sure I even like. Cue bigtime remorse :(

Victoria said...

Aw! But, you'll most likely have a ton of fun anyway... right? I hope?

Duffy said...

Yay!

Victoria said...

:D