Wednesday 12 January 2011

Let's Rewind For A Moment, Shall We?


So how on earth did I get to having a date this weekend without you guys knowing? Well, let's see. . . .

A week or so before Christmas, I went out for drinks with my friend James (who I used to have a crush on until I found out that when he said "partner" what it really meant was that we weren't ever going to smooch.)

James was telling me about a couple of dates he'd been on since the last time we'd hung out and the guys he'd met and how he was turning out to really like one of them.

James and I are on the same on line dating site and so when I went home, inspired by his stories, (and fueled by some Cosmos) I went back home and boldly giggled my way through a list of cute guys and ended up sending a message to three that I quite fancied.

I wasn't too tipsy, so they were still cute the next day, (whew!) but I had been tipsy enough to be brave enough to send them the message and hadn't really expected to hear from them (a "Hi! Merry Christmas! You seem nice!" was not something I expected to elicit much of a response in the clear light of day thank you very much) so I was pleasantly surprised to hear back from all three the very next day.

One of them, I'd messaged because he'd put on his profile that he'd like someone to learn to salsa with and I'd told him that I'd be up for that (I totally would), another I messaged to say congratulations on his having finished a marathon earlier in the year (because I know what an accomplishment that is) and the third I emailed because he seemed sweet and was also a spy and I wanted to wish a fellow spy a Merry Christmas (so I did.)

I was really happy to hear back from them and have been emailing (messaging, whatevs) with them and they all seem like nice guys. I'm proud that I put myself out there (even if it took a little liquid courage to stop me from over analyzing myself out of it) and I'm happy to be talking to three guys who, so far, appear to be nice, attractive, and interesting.

I'm also really really proud of myself for going out there and meeting one of those guys (the marathoner.) I've known for a while that I needed to go out on some dates just to get over the fact that I don't like meeting people and I don't like going on dates, so even if I don't go out with this guy again I'm glad I did it and it feels like an accomplishment.

If you're wondering, (and I know some of you are) the date was good. He was nice, and we had a lot to talk about and a good number of things in common. I wasn't uncomfortable and that was a relief and it seemed like we'd been walking and talking for ages but it turned out to have only been an hour and a half. I would like to go out with him again and get to know him more but if that doesn't happen, I'll still still, as I said, feel proud of myself for getting out there and doing it and making the whole process a little less scary.

Now I just have to find time to meet the other two guys.

No, seriously. They've both suggested we hang out and I'd like to!

I know, right?

So there you go. That's how I ended up having a date this weekend.

7 comments:

Single and Picky said...

Ooo a marathoner! I like him already. Well I am glad they were still cute the next morning and all seem to be good guys - so far. Congrats on doing it, even if it took a little Cosmo to kick start things. In the end if he's great it isn't going to matter, you'll just be glad you were willing to take the risk

Kas said...

YAY!! For you!!

Keep us posted!

~kas

SMITHY GALLERY said...

It is an accomplishment to put yourself out there and date like that. And you are going the right way about it.

I was very sacredy-cat about it! Meet them all and don't put much bearing on any of them until they have earned your affection!

Have fun :)

TL said...

Awesome! Really exciting! It is great that you are going to meet the other two as well! Yay for dates!

Victoria said...

Yeah, I'm glad too SnP and I am totally glad I was willing to take the risk. For sure.

I will Kas!


I was scaredy-cat for a long time too Natalie, I'm just trying to get over that a bit more :)

Thanks TL :D

Duffy said...

Well as long as they're not into nascar it should be ok :)

Victoria said...

So true Duffy! ;)